HDR causing lockup

Hi,
I’m having an issue when I enable HDR seemingly since this last build. I’m wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing. I filed a bug report.

Everything’s fine up until the flight loads and I hit the last “Fly” button to enter the active plane. It works for less than a second and then the game locks up. The sound continues, though. Everything else in the game is frozen. The only way to quit it is to end it in Task Manager. Windows remains reponsive.

If I turn off HDR on the display and the run FS again it works fine. I had been using HDR in previous builds with no problems. I tried a clean install of the latest nvidia driver and I even uninstalled, wiped the folders, and then re-installed the game. Up until now the game has actually been very stable for me. No crashing or other lockups.

2080ti
64 GB
LG B9 55" OLED
nvidia driver 456.71
Win 10 2004 build 19041.58

Thanks,
John

1 Like

I’m not getting a lockup, but since the last build it does seem that something has changed. If I enable HDR10 in the settings panel, the screen is washed out. Now, with HDR10 set to off, the screen looks just great. I am 99.89 percent sure it wasn’t like this prior to the update.
Acer ConceptD CP7271K
i9-9900K
64gb ram
RTX2070 Super nvidia 456.71
Win 10 2004 build 19041.508

Have you got HDR mode on your monitor switched off?

I was fiddling with the settings on my monitor and didn’t realise when I changed one of the settings it automatically turned off the HDR mode on the monitor.
When I started MSFS it crashed after the loading screen.
Switched HDR on monitor settings back on and it works fine again.

Hi,
I’m using a tv that automatically switches to HDR when it receives it. It used to work fine.

My lockup is happening when the flight loads, not the game itself. Everything is normal up until that point

Have you tried going back to a previous Nvidia driver?

When the problem started I was already back on 456.55. I haven’t tried going back further than that.

Doing a clean (post-DDU) install of the current driver was one of things I tried to do to fix it.

What’s the latest proper driver for this game?

I’m not sure, I’m on the latest driver 456.71 and don’t have any Issues apart from when I accidently switched HDR off on my monitor settings.

Was just an idea to try a previous one in case it was something strange with latest drivers.

Can confirm this is absolutely an issue exactly as reported by OP. Running HDR on my monitor or my tv causes the game to completely lock-up right after I select “Ready To Fly” once flight is loaded. In it’s current state, using HDR makes the game completely unplayable.

EDIT: Because I had a popup window on my second display during a previous session, the new session crashed due to some problem with the popup on a non-hdr/non-available display on subsequent runs.

Specs:
System Model X570 AORUS ELITE
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
GPU Adapter Type GeForce RTX 3080, NVIDIA compatible (RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA)
Power Supply
Thermaltake Smart Pro 850-Watt Modular Power Supply
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

I haven’t played in a while I was hoping the last two updates that I missed had fixed it, but today updated and tried again. Same problem. If I enable HDR on my tv in windows the game locks up (but not Windows). Turn it off, works perfectly.

@FonsecaJ Because I had a popup window on my second display during a previous session, the new session crashed due to some problem with the popup on a non-hdr/non-available display on subsequent runs.

Hi,

I submitted this bug to Zendesk 3 weeks ago and their response was as follows:

“We have recorded the bug you have submitted in our internal bug and issue tracker.”

I have the same situation.