HDR is non functional in [Testing both DX11 and DX12]

Yes I agree it’s not working correctly but after getting it to show HDR10 in the dev mode fps counter using the workaround, it’s definitely not as washed out as when it shows as SDR

1 Like

Merge complete.

2 Likes

HDR is definitely working, but not properly.
It’s over 20 times dimmer according to my max luminance readouts.

TV’s like my LG C2 have their own processing chip so it tonemaps on the screen itself, that’s why i didn’t notice it immediately.

1 Like

Im in the same position as you. Something has changed. I have a feeling it will be something to do with xbox as other games are also different. My hdr setting are also showing checkerboard patterns although it was calibrated before. My sdr is messed up too that I had to turn down my colour as this was oversaturated. Its very bizarre.

1 Like

Are you using Dolby Vision or HDR?

If you are using HDR, check if HGiG is enabled. If you say the checkerboard only disappear after setting 4000, it seems your LG TV has Dynamic Tone Mapping enabled, so this will happen. And the HDR calibration app does use HDR, not Dolby Vision, so you must check this.

2 Likes

One way I noticed I am not really in HDR even though it says HDR in the Dev Mode FPS Counter, is I always get an HDR logo pop up on my screen from Asus when it’s receiving HDR content… it’s not doing that anymore.

3 Likes

mines working now werid fix haha

It’s not technically outputting in HDR though; the Dev Mode FPS just shows HDR10 with that little trick, but others have confirmed it’s still not in HDR. :frowning:

1 Like

like i said before, it is HDR.
It is working but the maximum peak brightness of the image is around 300 nits instead of the usual 9500±

2 Likes

This is what I’ve been seeing as well – HDR screenshots confirm the peak brightness is super low, around 300 nits, even on sun reflections that are normally much brighter.

It looks as though it’s applying a tone-map meant for SDR, then boosting the base brightness.

2 Likes

But that’s for you when using a TV, correct? I thought you had said your TV may have been using tone mapping to properly output HDR. All I meant (sorry, not as technical as you with the nits, etc.) is my HDR on my Asus PG27Q doesn’t even pop up HDR when I am in the sim (and the sim shows HDR). That’s what I was meaning.

Just reverted to SU9 On Xbox and it’s so much better. Before I reverted back I calibrated a few times and only seen a minor improvement. On OLED it’s very noticeable. I will say HDR is on but not working properly. When the Sun is in sky it has no life. It’s flat and no shape. The Clouds are blown out along with the sly and horizon edges. The ground in bright conditions is very harsh. It’s like when taking off the lamp shade of a 75 watt lightbulb, White planes look terrible. No amount of adjusting could bring the white details back. On the flip side Sunsets are missing the bright POP the Sun has when it is setting. It’s dimmer than normal and doesn’t look as real. On OLED it gives that feeling of wanting to look at the Sun but then it hurts your eyes. On SU10 it just looks like a mildly brighter orange circle. I did notice that the Suns reflection looks brighter in the water and off the planes hood than the actual Sun.

LPPI is a great airport to test the Sunset .

EDIT: HDR tested = DolbyVision

4 Likes

No, the tools i used to check brightness were software that checks the .jxr format screenshots.
It’s the output of the sim not our displays.
Not a single HDR display on earth reaches 10000 nits of peak brightness hehe, not that u want to :sweat_smile:
But HDR is definitely working, just not as it’s supposed to be.

I really suggest Asobo adds a peak brightness slider in this sim for us HDR users at least bare minimum.

2 Likes

Can def confirm HDR is not working in SU10, normally colors are vibrant and now it’s dull. Also, using Nvidia performance overlay when in HDR the text is a bright green, whereas now its a very dull green

1 Like

I can confirm also, even though it is enabled in the settings. I am not getting a HDR image and the FPS counter shows that the image is being rendered in SDR.

Can also confirm even on Series X, my TV boots into HDR, but visually, the game is clearly not displaying in HDR in the beta. Its so bright and washed out the desert areas almost look like snow.

Not sure what happened, because on the first day the beta was released, it looked and performed amazing.

1 Like

I imagine they have lowered the hdr peak to solve the intense brightness error that was described in this topic, no? Apparently it affected the whole scene.

what do you think?

This is expected. When viewing clips and screenshots in HDR, Xbox unfortunately doesn’t use Dolby Vision. It uses HDR and the best we can do is be sure HGiG is enabled. Probably your recently restored LG is also enabling Tone Mapping and you also must set HGiG when viewing them.

If I’m. not wrong, clips will remember you set HGiG, but screenshots have its own HDR settings. They open using 50Hz, don’t know why. So you need to configure it independently too.

1 Like

Not to be pedantic, but actually there are micro-LED displays that reach 10,000 nits. Sony has produced them for trade show demos, and I believe they have at least one for sale to consumers, though it’s ultra expensive. Some 4K HDR is also mastered at 10,000 nits to accommodate future displays, though most is mastered at 4,000 nits.

Oh, and you definitely want 10,000 nits if you can get it. It makes the images incredibly lifelike.

OK, detour over…back on topic.

1 Like

I’m modest. My only hope is that they fix the HDR bug withe the next beta update. Then I can enjoy the game again with my 1000 nits monitor :wink:

1 Like