Headings for Victor Airways that don't lead to VORs

On the SkyVector charts, I see some victor airways that don’t lead to VORs and therefore don’t have any headings. How do you navigate to, and use, these airways?

For example, in New Jersey along the Jersey Shore are two airways that only run between waypoints. V229 runs between PANZE and DIXIE. V184 runs between PANZE and ZIGGI. How would I know the correct headings for these airways or when I am intercepting them?

V192 is an extension of the 192 degree radial of Colts Neck VOR. V184 is an extension of the 210 degree radial of the JFK VOR. The NOS Low Altitude IFR enroute shows this.

1 Like

Very cool! Thank you.

The airways and radials are much clearer in the low IFR chart. Do you use the low IFR when planning VFR flights? Or are you supposed to use only the VFR chart? Phrased differently, are the victor airways different for low IFR and VFR?

Lastly, what does NOS stand for?

If I was planning a strictly VFR flight, I would primarily use a sectional, perhaps supplemented by a low IFR chart. The sectional shows visual landmarks, terrain, roads, class Bravo airspace etc., while the IFR chart will have more detailed information on navaids and airways, safe altitudes along airways and other useful information.

Victor airways are the same for VFR or IFR, but when flying under IFR, airways will have minimum (or occasionally maximum) altitudes that have to be adhered to. These are shown on the IFR charts, but not on sectionals.

“NOS” is actually an outdated abbreviation. The freely available FAA charts that services like SkyVector provide are officially known as “AeroNav Products”.

1 Like

Thanks. Out of curiosity, does NOS stand for National Ocean Service?

Yes it does. The charting agency used to be known as NOAA/NOS

1 Like

Topic Author selected solution.