Helicopter shadow

I was flying over the sea near Greece in my MBB 105 yesterday, when something about the shadow it cast caught my eye:

Notice that a shadow is being cast not just by the helicopter itself, but by the turbulent air left in its wake. It’s faint, but noticeable enough for me to screenshot it.

In the sim, aircraft do sometimes leave distinct trails in the water in their wake, even when they’re higher than is reasonable for such a thing to happen; but this shadow is ahead of the helicopter, so it’s not that.

If this were a picture from the real world I might speculate about refraction through the varying density of the turbulent air, but this was taken in the sim so I haven’t a clue what’s happening.

Does anyone else?

Are you using DLSS ?

Hi @dagwit00001 ,

Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to a sub-category of the User Support Hub

The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside of our other sub-categories.

If you would like other users to help you with an issue you are experiencing in the sim, consider these User Support Hub categories for your future post:

User Support Hub > Aircraft & Systems
User Support Hub > ATC, Traffic & NAVAIDs
User Support Hub > Crashes (CTDs)
User Support Hub > Hardware & Peripherals
User Support Hub > Install, Performance & Graphics
User Support Hub > Scenery & Airports
User Support Hub > User Interface & Activities
User Support Hub > Virtual Reality (VR)
User Support Hub > Weather & Live Weather
User Support Hub > Miscellaneous

Flying in VR, DLSS Super Resolution - Balanced.

I have to say the image - cropped out of a screenshot taken in VR, which, being wide-angle, makes stuff look farther away and less impessive than in the headset - doesn’t really do the effect justice.

What I saw definitely looked to me like rotor wash playing games with the light.

On the other hand, great as the lighting effects are in MSFS 2024, could they possibly be that good?

Incidentally, I didn’t put the post in User Support because I wan’t reporting a bug, just commenting on a feature of the sim. Still,I’m sure it’s as good a place for the thread as any.