Helicopters are a must

Well that’s my point from the start.

But I don’t want a rushed, poor interpretation of helicopters. I want them properly done.

If Asobo and MS need the time, I’m OK with that. And I’ll provide all the help I can as well.

2 Likes

patiently Waiting :grin:

1 Like

I have two questions. What help can you give to Asobo, MS? Are you a helicopter pilot?

1 Like

Microsoft and Asobo know what help I can provide. They contacted me for a reason.

No, I am not a pilot, and I don’t need to be one.

1 Like

Don’t you worry…Space3Rat has tons of knowledge to give to Asobo. Just visit helisimmer.com and you’ll know why. :wink:

I’m not worried. In my opinion, the development of proper helicopter flight physics will require the involvement of pilots. Because someone who has a website that deals with helicopter simulation doesn’t necessarily understand the physics of helicopters.

But trust the best!

They’re coming soon :slight_smile:

We are not looking at this time to compete with expert opinion, but our final product will be fun to fly and will fill a niche until Asobo or a more established developer tackles the project.

PS - final product will not be a FSX port

4 Likes

Do you have any more videos showing hovering in no-wind situation, moving sideways and backwards, and pedal turning?

Check out Destroyer121’s YouTube channel for testing and development videos.

Yeah, I’ve watched a few but I haven’t found any videos showing those characteristics. They all seem like very low-stall speed fixed wing with 3D helicopter models. Thus me asking.

I think it will be a long time before we can fly fairly realistic helicopters in the flight simulator. :sleeping:
A realistic model requires more than just good flight characteristics.
It starts with starting a helicopter, especially those with a turbine.
It continues, for example, with the simulation of turbine outlet temperature (TOT), transmission torque, turbine rotor speed, oil pressure, …
What about when the turbine or gearbox are overloaded, are there failures?
Other important points when flying a helicopter are:
vortex ring state, Retreating Blade Stall, Loss of Tail Rotor Efficiency, auto rotation, ground effect, …
How realistically is the sound simulated, engine start up, blade flap sound, gear load, …?
Other developers show that it is possible to integrate these points into a simulator for private use.
At the moment I can hardly imagine whether Asobo / Microsoft can do it too, but let’s hope for the best. :wink:
We will definitely need a lot of patience.

That’s one of the reasons why I keep saying it’s unrealistic to ask for helicopters before the date Microsoft has announced. And even that, considering the amount of work needed, may be seen as a bit optimistic.

Still, a lot of what you are mentioning, especially engine management, is or needs to be present in the base sim with other aircraft (there are piston and turbine engines on fixed-wing). And, again, because of that, we need that base stuff to be done properly as helicopters will be built on top of it.

There’s a lot of work ahead for sure.

2 Likes

I agree it is a massive undertaking, we will push the limits of what we can do and hopefully release a nice heli for everyone to enjoy.

I get a big smile on my face when I think about what we have planned.

I wish you the best of luck. Making them behave like helicopters should be interesting. I’m eager to see them doing the maneuvers I mentioned above. That will be a fine starting point.

For the time being I recommend the Aerolite 103 in the market place. A superslow ultralite aircraft with great visibility. Perfect to explore the scenery up close and at a casual speed.

Not quite a helicopter, but it scratches the itch until the real thing arrives.

1 Like

Oh yeah. It’s great fun with VR. And I have done some hovering and landing on rooftops with it, I must admit :rofl:

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looking at the pictures and videos is a very poor quality model. The rotor animation is also terribly bad. Game looks like a helicopter …

In my opinion, we have to wait for the developer (Asobo) to make the helicopters in high quality.

Yeah, I am waiting to see more videos where we can see some actual helicopter behavior. I’m not even talking about the animations. That can be fixed. But they are not behaving the way we expect them to behave. So far it all looks like low-stall-speed fixed wing aircraft.

1 Like

You’re right. It has nothing to do with the flight physics of the helicopter …

1 Like