Helicopters coming in 40th Anniversary

With native helicopters coming to the sim and all the fun things you can do with them, I am hoping that someone will be able to create Bear Traps for ships…. What’s a bear trap?

It’s a Canadian Navy invention to enable Helicopters to land safely on small destroyers or other type vessels in heavy seas (up to Sea State 6).

I’m not sure if this is possible, but imagine flying your helo, and you need to land on the back of a destroyer to refuel, or pick up supply’s…. :slight_smile:

Also, for further info watch this video:

10 Likes

Not that I disagree. But honestly I’d settle for landable ships and a reasonably accurate helicopter simulation before I ask for something as specific as that. So far the ships in the sim don’t even roll in heavy seas as far as I can see. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m definitely looking forward to Helicopters. I wanted to be a Heli pilot since I was a kid. I have Aero Fly FS2 SIM and all I fly is the EC-135, I love that Heli. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Outside of the SIM’s I’m an accomplished RC Heli pilot as well. Once they release this 40th thing with Helicopters I won’t be flying anymore planes in the SIM, It will strictly be helicopters. :+1:

1 Like

We’ll need ship physics that react to the water before that can happen

2 Likes

Spotted this while parked pre-flight at Miramar. No add-on scenery installed, so it’s definitely default.

They clearly have the model (minus the interior) so perhaps it’ll hit the marketplace in the not so distant future.

1 Like

Bored to death of GA planes.

I’m a helicopter guy through and through.

I’m chomping at the bit in anticipation, been watching so many YouTube videos…especially Rotor Sim Pilot (although his last upload was 2 months ago, I speculate he’s been ‘hired on’ to assist with them).

I feel like you can do alot more with helicopters. There’s the firefight missions currently with the H145 on PC. But, even just doing “role play” type things like:

• Heli tours around New York or LA in the Bell 407.
  • Military equipment delivery from Nellis to Edwards in a Chinook or Blackhawk.
  • Patrolling city streets in the LAPD H125 (which is already happening with the Hooper Heliport released just this week).

As I’m on Xbox, the Volocopter just…ain’t doing it for me.

Now, the thing that’s been on my mind was the interview with Jorge about the 40th Anniversary Update. I could be very wrong but, it seems to me like Asobo was working on Helicopters, but then just…gave up?

Quote: “…helicopters were at the top. It dropped off because third parties did such a good job.”

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we’re finally getting there, but this just is a bit disheartening to learn the potential to was already so.

Lastly, I’m hoping with the WASM Update for Xbox (hopefully still on track for SU10) that we may get a small sampling. I don’t know much about the intricacies of the 3rd party add-ons, but I’m hoping that some decent heli’s make it in with their own built in flight models. I recently learned that the creator of AirlandFS wants to natively integrate his program into the sim, but again, I’m not overly versed on such things.

Again, I’m just anxious for helicopters to come. The sim still great and I’m definitely looking forward the the additions and improvements with SU10.

4 Likes

They’re not giving up on helicopters (they’re getting added in the 40th anniversary edition), they just gave up on developing the actual helicopters themselves, since third parties are already doing a great job. This way MS/Asobo can invest more time on the flight dynamics/systems, instead of on the helicopters themselves.

12 Likes

I don’t hold my breath that MSFS will do anything in terms of activities for helicopters. After all they haven’t anything in that respect for normal aircraft either. All types of activities (career modes, SAR missions etc) have come from 3rd party developers.

I don’t think that will change anytime soon.

2 Likes

November 2022 release date They just got help from 3rd party to do it, include glider, airbus that’s all.

5 Likes

If they don’t profit, it doesn’t matter. It’s that simple. Truth hurts but it takes money to employ programmers, to purchase, run and maintain computers and to provide support. In short, people need to make a living.

MSFS cost us $60. Not $6000000. I am one of the stingiest of personalities (re, efficient) when it comes to money. My limited budget forces me to go for value. For me, I’ve already received $60 worth of fun. I’m thinking I’ve since spent more than $60 on electricity simply running MSFS in the last two years.

No one will goad MS/Asobo into to doing anything they don’t care to do, so nothing is gained by being negative.

3 Likes

In this case “profit” has absolutely nothing to do with the situation.

What Jorg apparently said was… paraphrased… “Asobo isn’t making a helicopter(s) model(s) for the game because other 3rd parties are already doing it. What this decision does is allow us to manage our resources and put them on other projects instead.”

Product development is all about managing your resources to best effect. Their resources are better used elsewhere at this time. That’s all it is. Making money off of selling a helicopter is the least of their concerns.

They are committed to developing the flight modeling and supporting coding for helicopters, and there will be helicopters available.

4 Likes

What is Core to the MS mission is “Sufficient Profitability”.
Accordingly MS continues to rationalize their portfolio which includes divesting businesses that are not sufficiently profitable or not core to our business. Ms has divested itself of several businesses over the past several years.

Makes me consider that the Sim community may be asking for so much that the Sim might be more profitable in another investors hands.

Something to consider.

The profit I was referring to would follow after the initial income generated by the title. I heard that MS/Asobo committed to ten years of development. I’m surprised they did that. However, if they were making tons of money they could simply hire more people to do helicopters and such. Lastly, it is possible they could want to sell addons themselves.

Profit ALWAYS has something to do with it.

Nope, not considering it at all. I’m perfectly happy with their development plan. I think they are doing an awesome job of development and an even better job of customer communication of their intentions. And I’m blown away by what they are giving us in terms of content as well.

As a pilot, I couldn’t begin to ask for more for helping me simulate my flights. I think it’s an amazing product, and sales numbers support my belief.

Having been using flight simulators since 1987, the attitude of forum dwellers has always been the same, never happy with what they’ve got. I only come here to see what’s next…

3 Likes

I don’t even hold my breath regarding their flight characteritics… They don’t even get the ground effect for the airplanes right, helicopters are so much more complicated to do right.

Buy the Honda Jet and all your boredom will diminish

in that case, watch this (timestamp included)

a snaphot;

2 Likes

Great,
I am also very happy with the Sim and the rate of updates. Isn’t this so much better than the old B Artwick version on the radio Shack TRS models ? That was , probably, back at a time you and I were getting our PPL and CPL. Just hope MS sticks with it for a decade.

This is the very best on the market as far as I am concerned. I am just holding my breath that they will continue work on the multi-screen capabilities until it is really good.

I agree on the attitudes comments from forum dwellers. Now that the GPU prices are “finally” dropping to a price they should be at, some of us “holdouts” can upgrade our systems a bit.

Have a great weekend and happy flying.

3 Likes

I upgraded end of last winter when GPU’s finally came back to the market and prices dipped a bit.

I got a 3080Ti and an HP Reverb G2 (rev 2), to complement my recent (last summer) 11700 / 64GB system. I love it. VR is amazing. Sure, it’s not perfect, but I was blown away, able to step out of the Warrior and look at the seal around the door… you keep wanting to touch it, haha! Lean your head out of the Ryan as you’re flying along… Love it!

2 Likes

Microsoft will stick with it as long as its profitable. But you better believe that if this thing goes bits up and suddenly stops being profitable for them, they will pull the plug just like they did with Flight.

2 Likes