HELP !, Cockpit Jerky with RTX3080, I7-10700 4.8Ghz, 64 GB RAM, SSD 2T. Quest 2, MS Store. Any recommended configuration?

I understand my configuration should be enough for decent VR, tried moving HAGS, OTT, Nvidia settings, Quest 2 resolution and MSFS with no full success. My major challenge is that the cockpit shakes a little when I move my head. Outside is great. but to have the cockpit stuttering, shaking a little bit takes out the fun. I hope my ask for help is not too basic, I am just tired of tweaking with no success. Txs!

Jerky cockpit is a direct result of low framerate. Nobody wants to hear that, but it absolutely is the case.

I suffered from jerky cockpit in XP11. I built a 3070 / 5600x system purely for VR, no more jerky cockpit, solid 80fps with my Rift S. MSFS = jerky cockpit.

Motion smoothing helps but glass cockpit and complex aircraft (in my experience with the Rift S) hinder it from working fully. The WMR stuff seems to fair better from what I can see online.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

You have hardware that is strong so can you please describe the settings you are running in MSFS (graphics levels)? And have you turned on Developer Mode and in there turn on the FPS screen to see not only your FPS but other stats about the system (do this when either flying or when sitting on the runway). If you have very low frame rates (and a lot of red on the graphs shown in the developer mode FPS charts) then you will need to turn down graphics and it mattered which ones, as some are heavier on FPS than others. See the excellent and long posts by Cptlucky8 that provide detailed advice. Also, some of the settings are heavy on the cpu more than GPU and usually the cpu becomes limiting first with a 3080 GPU, I have an I-9 10900k at 5ghz, rtx3090 and 64gb ram. I’m running graphics at medium with some low as well and use motion reprojection and it’s quite smooth. 20fps and then reprojection up to 60fps. Good luck and it’s a lot of work to get the settings working but with your hardware it should be a very good experience so read those posts and also reply back here with more details on your settings as of now.

I have the same problem with the cockpit “stuttering” (outside the window is OK) despite good FPS.
For several months, since I use MSFS (or basically do not use) I have not managed to get rid of this effect.
This is not a question of high MSFS settings or hardware, but an Oculus application error. My equipment, although it is not of the highest quality (i7 8700K; 32 RAM; 1080Ti) + Rift S, even with all parameters set to “low”, never allows you to smoothly look around the cockpit.
I had the same problem with X-Plane when I was running XP through the Oculus app.
Fortunately, X-Plane can be run through the SteamVR app, which makes the simulation completely smooth.
This is not possible in MSFS.

2 Likes

Thank you, reading some other posts, I just found that having ASW at 18Hz helped me a bit. Now, if I Am out of the cities, the cockpit is much more stable, here is my configuration:

I will also check the posts you recommend, thank you very much for your help!

I also think t is more on the Oculus, because in 2d I have no problem at all with maximum settings. Thanks!!

I am also trying lighter planes in my tests, thanks for your comment.

Try the 72hz setting on the headset so the reprojection (ASW) is an even multiple of the 18hz setting. Normally you want an even multiple from the real raw frame rate up to the interpolated reprojection rate. I also run the nVidia control panel pre-rendered frames at 1 and not 2, but that last only because when I tried 2 and watched the Developer Mode FPS graphs in the sim, for me it was worse than the default nVidia setting of 1. Great news that you’ve dialed it in for better performance. It’s a lot of work in trial and error but totally worth the immersion of VR if you can get a smooth experience with decent graphics. I only fly in VR now.

Here’s another good post from a Quest 2 user on their settings and your hardware is a notch better on the gpu. Have a look and maybe try a few of these as compared to your current settings.

Thank you!, I will do the comparison with Nvdia setting 1 anyway. Better to check it.

Thank you very much tempestornado23!, very grateful for your kind help.
Cheers!

I’ve got your identical hardware but 32g.
It took a long time to balance it all out.
I’m using latest Nvidia drivers and Oculus v29.
Only difference is in OTT, I set to 45hz forced and keep Link settings all at default 0.
80hz in Oculus. Don’t use anything else.
Has anyone tried 120hz setup in Oculus AirLink?

Thank you, I will try what you shared. I haven’t tried 120hz yet

1 Like

I have exactly the same issue with my pimax 8K x and VIVE. It is not only cockpit but if you look at the airplane from outside, whole airplane shakes a bit when you move your head. Is that same to you?

As I am pimax, I can’t do this, but this may help you?

TLDR: If you’re getting microstutters on your head tracking in MSFS, turn off the Windows Mixed Reality Portal “preview” (showing what’s happening in the headset on-screen) by clicking the “pause” button at the bottom in the middle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/kzaczx/how_i_solved_my_issue_of_head_tracking_stutters/

My opinion your SuperSampling is to high.
Lower it down or IN game render resolution reduce to 60%

I recomend to your configuration.

Cable

OTT
SuperSampling 1.6
ASW - OFF
Adaptive GPU OFF
Mirror 0.79 - 0.79

In Game: VR setting ALL ULTRA
Only render resolution 60%

Try and let us know.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.