Help for understanding altitude management in navigation

Hello,

I try to learn navigation on a TBM 930 and there are a couple of things I still don’t understand.

1. When I create my flight plan, let’s say one departure, one arrival, if I click on “nav log” (or something like that), I see a lot of steps, climb, level flight, descent, with details on where it happens and corresponding altitude. Looks good. However once I am in the plane it does not appear anywhere, or at least I can’t find it, I see the flight plan (from above) but nothing about these steps or the various altitudes. Is it expected? If this “nav log” not transfered at all in the plane?

2. If I want to setup manually my own flight plan, with each step added manually (in the FS interface, before the flight), I can’t set the altitude of each waypoints. I could not find how to do it.

Thanks for your help.

The only thing carried from that as far as I can see is the cruise altitude.
The steps are not.

However, there is a way around it.
Set your cruise altitude in the nav log to the first “step”.
ATC will get you to that altitude.
When you reach that, and when you are ready to climb again, simply request a flight level increase to the next step level from ATC, using the in flight ATC menu.
Repeat until you get to your desired final cruise level.

1 Like

OK thank you, I’ll have a look at that. I have still not really seriously looked at ATC so far, but I will.

1 Like