Help, VR not working after uninstalling steam VR & Steam

So, i am back with Vr issues…

I did setup VR through Link first and then through Steam, both were working, after some difficulties but ok…

After many tests, my conclusion is that Link seems to work better, i says seems…

So i wanted to clean my installtion, mainly from Steam which was starting automatically each time i was opening a VR session with Link. I thought this was not clean to have both Link and Steam VR activated at same time. And it was impossible to find a way to prevent Steam VR to launch automatically, which i would have preferred.

So i uninstall all Steam and steam VR.

But after that impossible to get Oculus Link to work again, in MSFS i just have no possible toggle, either from CTRL+TAB or directly clicking in the VR menu, VR doesn’t want to start. No messages, just no reaction.

I did also a uninstall of oculus and full reinstall. Nothing.

Registry is correctly setup to Oculus runtime.

Beta is registerd in oculus.

What else… ?

Edit : My MSFS comes from Microsoft store.

I found also that Virtual Desktop Streamer was still there, so i uninstall it also.
But still no VR from MSFS toggle.

@aerofreak69

thks for your help, i opened this dedicated post to avoid polluting the other post.

“ok, that´s fine but crazy…i go the following way with OpenXR and Quest 2/ Oculus Link:
start Oculus app, start MSFS, click yellow button when ready to fly, put on Headset and switch via Ctrl.+Tab to VR.
I don´t use the “switch to VR” button…and on your side nothing happened ?”

That’s excatly what i am doing, and when i do ctrl+tab absolutely nothing happens, seems like Vr didn’t exist at all now in MSFS, but all menus for VR parms are there, but nothing happens

@aerofreak69

yes, full rebot several times, last one just now, reboot also of the Quest itself

still no reaction to VR toggle.

what kind of link cable / USB port do you use ? (test your USB connection inside oculus app) I get 2,3Gb/s on USB 3 (direct port on motherboard)

what about other applications ? is oculus link working so far that you see the oculus link home screen and able to switch to 2D desktop screen ?

Yes I can switch to 2d monitors from my headset, either monitor 1 or 2, no problem.

My usb cable is a good one, working fine up to now, test was giving same speed as u, but I will test again

i did the test again, 1.8 Gbps

regarding the oculus home screen, not sure of what it is, there one home screen when you wear the headset without the cable and there is another one when u connect the link, but they are not clearly identified, difficult to know where we are, they are just different.

example with 1 monitor view in the oculus mirror, both eyes

yes, the room before enter the oculus link button is the regular headroom, behind this you are in the link headroom. there seems to be a problem with the interface between oculus link and MSFS
Did you test it with Wifi /5GHZ and Virtual Desktop and Steam VR ?

yes and that here where the issue could be.
1st i install oculus and link and start testing with only that, was working but not excellent.
then i start testing with Steam VR + VD and VD Streamer and wifi 5ghz, and sidequest, no link, was working too…
in meantime i changed my CGU for a RTX3070 from the RX 5600XT
and i continue testing on link or on VD and Steam… alternating…
then i saw again some posts showing good settings for Link and i succeed to get results quite good too.
but each time i was testing with Link, i had also Steam VR starting automatically when i toggle VR in MSFS, so i wanted to stop that, impossible to find any option in steam to prevent it to start automaticaly.

So my last option has been to remove completely Steam and Steam VR, and then no more VR from MSFS…

I also reinstaller Oculus from scratch, same…

hard work :wink: … i also use a new Asus 3070 and updated from 5700XT …might be a mistake ?
VR is working but i get worse FPS results, so my problem is the next to yours :wink:
I hope we find solutions here to fly VR with acceptable FPS

last test, i didn’t remember the sidequest was also installed, so i uninstall it also, and reboot everything
but same, VR toggle is still dead

here my regedit

and here my directory

in fact i don’t care really to use one or the other, what i was trying to avoid was to have both Link and SteamVR active at same time, and this i dindn’t found any option to avoid SteamVr to start when i use Link.

So i uninstall SteamVR.

wait…i see a different path here in my registry without (WOW6432Node)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1

Please correct it, i think you have the wrong path !

the last thing i have to do maybe would be to scratch MSFS and reinstall it ?
but i wanted to avoid… as much as possible… all these GB to download… !!! scary…

agreed !!!
should i try to remove this WOW… ?

look for this path

yes there two Khronos entries, at two different levels !!!

and the right one is wrong !!!