Help with G1000 Range Knob on MFD

I’ve tried everything. The range knob to increase or decrease the size of the screen does not work in either G1000. I am a less than 3 week owner of the sim.
I’ve given up and do not know what to do. I barely know to do on this web site to find a solution.

First my assumptions, you have a gps flight in, and the cdi set to gps; and you are flying with the mouse; and you are trying to make the range adjustment on the mfd; and the mouse pointer changes to a hand or arrow when you are over the knob.

Possibilities, and this one got me when I first started, The Range knob is the one above the FMC buttons and above the word PAN, below RANGE. If you are set up as I suspect, and are using the next knob up on the MFD it will not change anything on either display.

The range knob on the mfd will zoom the map on the mfd, the range knob on the PFD will zoom the inset map if you have it turned on.

The next one up CRS<>BARO: the inner knob, on either side, will change the course when you are using a VOR. The outer knob on the PFD only will change the Baro setting.

Hope this helps, let me know if my assumptions were incorrect and maybe I can give you some guidance with your setup.

Guys, Thanks for the reply. Yes it is range knob not working on the MFD side panel of the G1000 with GPS and CDI for the Magenta HSI display. The peripherals I have (and not flying with mouse) are Intel 10-Core i5-12600K at up to 4.9GHz System Memory 32GB DDR4-3600. An RTX 4070ti. Logitec Pro Yoke (no foot pedals. Saitek radio panel, Saitek flight multi panel. Saitek switch panel and the Saitek throttle quadrant.
I tried as much as in options to bind the mouse to I believe the Range Control, But nothing. I see and hear the knob clicking and scrolling but no action on the MFD screen. If I stand corrected the NXI 1000 range knob does not work yet until a future update? But I am just using the default G 1000. And I am not the PFD range knob. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, you said you don’t fly with a mouse, but it sounds like you have a mouse to use in the sim. First, need to check if the mouse is set to “legacy” or “lock”.

Yes I use the mouse to change options but not fly. I will check Accessibility, cockpit interaction. What should it be set at? Lock or Legacy. Thanks

in the game there is no binding for adjusting the range on the gps.

Have you tried using the mouse to turn the knob? It should change to an arrow when you are in the right area.

With all of that Saitek gear you may want to look into getting Spad.next. It is software to bind all of the saitek stuff to any game.

I use legacy, but you’re free to use either. I find on PC it’s easier for me to use legacy. As far as the range, it does work in the sim. (not sure if you’re trying to use simvars to change things, and I don’t use those, so someone else will have to help you with that, and that part may not be working yet).
But you can change range using your mouse.

On the MFD range dial, if you use legacy, you’ll see two things. 1: if you move the mouse cursor near the dial on either side, you’ll see little curved arrows. 2. if you’re a bit further out from the dial, you’ll see little straight arrows. Those are for panning the view, not changing the range. I’ll come back to those.
If you see the curved arrows, you can left click the mouse and it will scroll in or out (depending on whether you’re on the arrow to the left of the dial, or the right of the dial. If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse, once you have one of the curved arrows visible, you can scroll up or down, to increase or decrease range. The click spots are pretty small, so you need to be careful moving the mouse cursor, but if you just move the mouse cursor around a bit, you’ll see the various arrows I mentioned.
I’ll tell you about panning or you can disregard! If you click on the end of the range button, you can then use the straight arrows (left, right, up, down arrows) to move around the MFD screen. You’ll need to push the end of the button again to exit the panning mode.
Trying not to give you too much information right off. So you might want to check and see if you’re comfortable with this info.
Regards
P.S. If you’re using the scroll wheel to change range, you can be on either curved arrow and scroll. You don’t need to be on a specific curved arrow. So that’s a bit easier for me.

Oh yeah. I am familiar with the G1000. I’ve been wanting to try MSFS for a while being an X-Plane user and the scroll knob in X-Plane 11 or 12 works fine. But the scrolling on MSFS, no. I can do the panning though. But it a pain.

1 Like

does the mouse act as described around the range knob?

Great. I don’t think right now you can assign an action in the control setup to change the range. If you’re trying to assign simvars, You might check in one of the more “techie” areas of the forum. Depending on how you’ve got your browser set up, if you see a block that says “categories”, just click on that, and it will show you all the possible categories and subcategories. I’d recommend possibly starting in “General discussion&Community support”, with subcategory of “home cockpit builders” or just “tech talk”. The mods will help move you to another category if it might be better.
Good Luck and welcome to MSFS…the good and the things that need fixing!
Regards

OK. OK. OK. You guys want to grin or laugh. You know how you get set in your ways how you have been used to doing things for years. I mentioned I have X-plane. Same equipment as far as G1000 and G530, ect. In Xplane you use “left mouse click” to scroll the knob. Well I went to MSFS accessibility to enable tool tips and names. I get back the MSFS cockpit and hover the mouse. And my eyes caught " USE MOUSE WHEEL" to increase or decrease. You got to be kidding me!! I’ve been struggling for 2 weeks to get this thing to work. USE MOUSE WHEEL !
Don’t get old guys. Sorry for being so inept. You were a great to reach out.
“USE MOUSE WHEEL!!!” Not left click mouse. Now I’m going to get into XPlane and then its gonna really mess me up. And make a fool out of myself when go the X-Plane Forum and tell them my scroll knob doesn’t work.

1 Like

Hahhhhh! Let me know if you guys need help with MSFS !!! Don’t call me StoutShoe. Call GumShoe. Call me Woody. Everybody else does.

having same problem…I found that the knob on the far left pfd adjusts the mfd range in center