High-end computer yet very sluggish performance in VR

I believe I read that programs that monitor frame rates etc. (like afterburner?) can cause stuttering in VR. I have about the same setup and using this:
Nvidia driver 457.30 (game experience NOT installed)
OpenXR preview mode enabled.
OpenXR render scale: 70
OpenXR Motion reprojection: disabled
FS2020 render scale: 100
WMR: best visual quality, dispalay resolution best quality
Win10: game mode off
Those I think are the most important settings. You can check the ‘best bang for your buck’ guide from cpt lucky to see which FS2020 settings affect performance, set them to low and then you can increase quality until fps drop too much.
Not familiar with Index settings as I have a G2.
And it is true that it is very frustrating to get this game running ok. There are bugs in the game, WMR, Win10, Nvidia drivers, OpenXR and it annoys the hell out of me because you spend a lot of tweaking an updating all the time and not a whole lot of flying until you get it to work for a little while.
Good luck!

1 Like

It seems iv been spending more time messing with settings instead of flying more so since the UK update…i hope they sort preformance problems out in this ASAP

1 Like

Hello everybody!

On my last flight over Tampa & Miami, I logged my systems sensor and performance data to see how taxing a higher terrain setting is. I had a few very nasty lags on faster head-turning, just a few short ones but still…

Rig-Specs:
i9-9900KF, 64GB PC3200, RTX3070, Valve Index on 150% RenderResolution, MSFS on dedicated M2-SSD, W10 Pro, Nv DRV 457.30, not running any unnecessary background tasks or other apps, …
DL-Bandwidth: 300 MBit

Turns out, my RTX3070 runs between 75% and 90% GPU usage most of the time, yet there are some micro stutters all the time (looking down from apprx. 2000ft).
CPU and RAM usage isn´t taxing either:
Av. CPU usage (all cores combined) lies around 40%… plenty of free RAM left
Only GFX-RAM has about 500MB free left out of 8GB.

So, not running at full capacity, yet I can see geometry popping in (planes and vehicles on ground start without gear or rims), the terrain and buildings (live data) pops in quadrant by quadrant way to close to the plane, micro stutters as mentioned, …

Most settings are on MEDIUM to LOW sadly, only terrain on HIGH and 100% detail, traffic settings at 1/3, …

I´m still in the process of tweaking my new rig and the VR + Sim settings but at the moment, I really did expected a little more performance in VR mode, even from a MS game. Looking at what´s possible with HalfLive Alyx (runs smooth at ultra settings), it´s a little sad the see how MSFS performs!

Since I´m running SteamVR, would OpenXR bring any performance boost for the game?
Can the “popping-in” of terrain be due to slow MS servers (I´m EU based)?

Or do I just have to wait until MS optimized the sim for Index…

I fly FS since Version 4.0 in the early 90ies, so I´m quite used to be patient and do the best with what we have, always hoping the next update makes thing actually better.

Cheers!

I have a 3070 and 3700x with the g2 and needed the 457.30 driver get a smooth flight, 30+ fps the majority of flights. The 3070 is fine with the g2 and msfs2020. Hope you get sorted with your headset and computer.

3700x and 3070 is more mid-high end. There are CPU’s and GPU’s out there that are 20-25% better performing than what you are running. Even with a 5800x and a 3090 I need to tone down the resolution a little and settings at around medium to get a good VR experience. VR is very demanding and isn’t currently meant for mainstream it is a high-end feature.

Regarding the janky head tracking… I can only say that I have never experienced a single moment of it using a Quest 2. Things get a little stuttery sometimes when on the ground, but only if it’s a heavily built up airport. I run pretty high settings, but could lower things a tad to eliminate those ground stutters. But, as I spend more time in the air than on the ground, I’m prepared for the slight compromise. Things are super fluid once airborne, both in the cockpit and out of the window.

I’ve tried MSFS in VR with Quest 2, RiftS, Reverb G2.

I didn’t bother much with the Quest 2 because of comfort and the added resources being used to compress video over the link cable.

The RiftS is the smoothest experience because the default resolution is way lower than the G2.
To get a similar performance with the G2, I’d have to lower the resolution to be equivalent to RiftS (there’s no free lunch here!)
Also, on top of that, the Oculus frame interpolation software is just way better than WMR, so head movement is always butter smooth.

Then the one thing everyone seems to be ignoring is that the game streams the world data, and this can have a big impact on framerate.
To take this out of the picture, one would have to enable manual caching and fly over an area that’s been cached locally (that’s just not how I play as I’m doing a world tour).

Is the Local Cache working? I thought it was broken so I had it off for a while now. I’m talking about Cache that gets loaded as you fly, not the manual one where you go to the map and select what you want to cache.

I had a simple idea to increase frame rates in VR:
With my G2 when i activate the Developer Mode FPS Counter, i can nearly not see it in my left eye, it is displayed way too much right. But the black stencil is much more right.
So it would be nice if we could edit the black stencil in a way that the sim calculates only the pixels we can see and not the pixels we cannot see at the edges. i think with the G2 this could be easily 25% less Pixels and therefore perhaps 25% more FPS?!
Perhaps the easiest way for the developers would be to give the users a .bmp file with the stencil mask that everyone could edit it to his own likes with a program like paint?

1 Like

How about using the ram on our pcs and video cards to a better extent?

I found a fix. It’s a Windows 11 issue that causes the stuttering in my case. I have an Oculus (Meta) Quest 2. Other uses say it didnt happen with their setup in Windows 10.
Open the Oculus folder in program files.
Open the support folder
Click on the debug file.
This will open a dialog window.
Click on the service tab then start the service
You should get a debug screen pop up that constantly scrolls. Keep this open on the desktop when playing in VR.
To stop, click on the service tab and stop the service.

This has reduced the stuttering greatly in MSFS and completely in DCS.
I use default VR settings in both simulators but may need to tweek them for MSFS.
I hope this helps some of you.