High End Upgrade - wasted

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

No mods or 3rd party content installed. Complete new sim install

Brief description of the issue:

sim loads up OK, goes through the menus OK, but as soon as I go to fly, it CTDs. I’ve upgraded my components, but just won’t let me fly. The screenshot with the xbox controller (don’t know why as Im not using an xbox controller?) this is as far as it gets.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

All drivers and bios from all parties are fully upto date

PC specs and peripheral set up:

MB-Asus Prime x670p wifi
GPU-MSI Ventus 3x 4090 OC
CPU-Ryzen 9 7900x
RAM-Corsair Vengeance 64gb (2x32) 5200mhz (CM64GX5M2B5200Z40)
STORAGE - Samsung 980 pro 500gb (primary)
- samsung 980 pro 1tb (flight sim only)
Windows 10

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Moved to Tech Talk which is more appropriate whilst other users help you troubleshoot :+1:

What components were upgraded? It may be worth doing a full clean/DDU install of your graphics driver.

2 Likes

All components.

I did a full clean windows install (windows 10) as windows 11 blue screens. I’ll look into the DDU. Is that located with Nvidia?

Display Driver Uninstaller.

Blue screen strongly suggests a hardware problem. I’m not expert but I think it would have created a log somewhere that may give you a clue to where to investigate, but I’m not sure where it saves that.

6 Likes

Blue screens on windows 11, perfectly OK on windows 10. I’ve spoken to microsoft and they suggest leave it on 10 if they’re no issues

Point is there may be some underlying issue there, which is screwing with MSFS. The sim really seems to trip anything it can up as it’s so demanding.

5 Likes

Agree 100%

4 Likes

I’ve already replaced the Ram. I’ve done a ram test and that came back OK, other than that I don’t know where else to go with it all.

I’ve done a DDU, waiting to restart

1 Like

What power supply do you have?

Corsair 1000w. That wattage was recommended to me by a few PC places.

2 Likes

The DDU didn’t work either

The blue screens due indeed indicate a hardware issue most likely (could be corruption in software, but that is rarer). The fault that you are receiving is a general fault which usually means MSFS is conflicting with some other software (mods, overclocking/process management software, Navigraph, GSX Pro, etc.).

Remove the overclocking and disable / uninstall that software as a starting point. If that doesn’t work, try repairing/reinstalling MSFS and finally try deleting the cloud save file.

3 Likes

The sim is a complete new install. I have zero 3rd party mods or addons. Empty community and addon folder. I do have navigraph, FBW and Headwind on the desktop, but they aren’t connected to the sim yet. I’ve not done any overclocking either. Everything is new and as stock. I don’t think I’ll need to overclock given the specs of the GPU and CPU. Asus have given me support routes, but they haven’t worked either. I’ve double checked all drivers ect are updated, which they are. You can imagine after spending over 2 grand on upgrades and not being able to even fly a plane… I’m somewhat baffled and :rage:

1 Like

With it being an ASUS motherboard, you may have Asus apps like Armoury Crate or Sonic Studio pre-installed. If so, try disabling these or even uninstalling and see if that helps.

1 Like

I do actually have Armoury crate installed as its their utility to access the latest drivers ect, but I’ll give that a go :+1:

1 Like

I think you will find that Armoury Crate doesn’t uninstall cleanly. Check your Task Manager to be sure. I had to rebuild my machine from scratch to get rid of it. Also, load optimized defaults in the BIOS during install because you are more likely to have less issues. You can always tweak them later one at a time if you like.

2 Likes

I’ve not done anything with bios (other than update it) so I’ll take a look at your suggestion, thanks.

Blue screens are most likely caused by the RAM settings in BIOS. I have also an Asus board, the 4090 and Corsair 5200MHz 64GB (but a different model) and I had to set XMP II to allow them run at 5200MHz without issues under Windows 11. Using XMP I or trying to configure them manually at 5200MHz resulted in errors. Those speeds mean an overclocking of the RAM base speeds, so if settings are not correct that leads to such issues.

I suggest you update BIOS to the latest available (if not done already) and set XMP II in BIOS. Leave all RAM settings as proposed by XMP II. Asus BIOS are always very well tested and configured so you will have no issues with the default settings included in their BIOS.

In the worse case just don´t worry too much an leave RAM at its default speeds. They will be lower (most likely 4000MHz) but they will have better latency instead. You won´t see relevant differences in MSFS. They are still fast enough. I did tests with my stock and OC speeds and results were basically the same.

Cheers

1 Like

Agreed, best to let the RAM run at default speeds otherwise the system can get unstable and possible more CTD.

1 Like