Highly unrealistic rattling and strong wind thermal sounds when gliding

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

Both official gliders (DG1001 and LS8) have artificially added unrealistic sounds related to thermals - occuring if only lift rises above zero quickly:

1. Very noticable rattling sound as if somone poked fingers at wings - as RL glider pilot if I would experienced such sounds from wings I’d land quickly afraid that something is serously broken inside.
  2. Very noticable increase in loudness of wind (and very distinguishable from normal wind sound).

I am RL glider pilot for over 10 years - flew both wooden and laminate gliders and didn’t experience squeeks/rattling due to thermals (esp such ridiculously repetitive - they are always played just when lift rises quickly above 0, loud and distinguishable) - very immersion breaking.
Noticable change in wind sound in thermals is rare and more subtle - mostly noticable if it is a huge laminar thermal distinguished from surrounding turbulent flow - esp when you open canopy window (not implemented in official models). And such change is not always the same wind sound, it is not a stronger wind sound - as when you rise you rise wit the given airmass so it is often less noisy.
I understand that it was introduced to help novice glider pilots to be able to easier spot thermals - but vario tone is enough and realistic audio feedback for this, there are also other toggable helpers - like 3d thermal visualization and proximity atmospheric CFD visualization.
If possible please remove both kind of sounds or make them less deterministic/noticable/distinguishable/repetitive or at least allow to disable them in assistance options.
It makes glider experience very arcade level for RL pilots now - not “as real as it gets”.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Audio only

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Noticable in thermal training mission or any other flight with thermals with any official glider .

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

does not apply

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU11

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

yes

YES! Same feedback from me

While some of those noises are warranted, briefly, none are warranted at all levels of thermal activity, and need to be reduced. In an early entry to a thermal, I’d expect there should be a slight (at most) wind noise increase, and perhaps a control wire rattling - airframe noise if there’s turbulence involved. But at no point should it sound like 120kts going past the glider when you’re just in a strong thermal.

Yes, the same!

Yes

Yes

To me it sounds the same as increased speed, and since glider pilots use the sound of the wind to judge speed change it totally messes with my speed control when thermals makes this much sound (I think speed is increasing when it’s just the thermal).

Yes, the sounds and rattle are completely over the top when you fly through ‘rising air’. It doesn’t work that way in the real world. And conversely, the sounds of flying faster in the soaring plane are way too low in the game.

I’m a real life glider pilot

1 Like

Yes

Glider pilot IRL as well, the wind noise should be more connected to the speed of the airplane and not to thermals.

1 Like

BANG BANG BANG!!! What the hell is this noise supposed to be? It’s constant and so annoying, I have to mute the audio.
Please get rid of it!

1 Like

Yes

yes

100% agree

Also a licensed glider pilot here, going for instructor level certification… The flying and joystick/rudder inputs along with thermals and winds are unrealistic to a level of just “no…”.

Improve. It’s possible, Condor2 has this down to a correct “enough” level of perception of reality.

1 Like

I find it good for feedback! But an option should be provided in accessibility to be turned off.