Historical tour of the world via Bonanza G36 Leg 5

Today’s leg was absolutely beautiful. MSFS is a work of art. I started out in Atlanta, then made my way over toward Birmingham, Alabama. There were a lot of big, ominous clouds in the sky but they were scattered enough to enjoy mostly sunshine. Wind was variable and would pick up to about 14kts at some points then die back down to ~4kts. Just enough wind and weather to keep things interesting!

Here was my flight plan:

Departure: Hartsfield-Jackson International KATL
Downtown Atlanta
Earl L Small Jr. Field 20GA
Talladega Mun KASN
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Intl KBHM
Ware Island 01AL
Willow Point AL71
Moton Field 06A
Downtown Montgomery
Selma
Arrival: Skyharbor S63

Waiting for clearance to take off at Hartsfield-Jackson Intl KATL

Flying into Atlanta before heading west

Like many U.S. state capitols, the Georgia State Capitol is designed to resemble the Neoclassical architectural style of the United States Capitol, in Washington D.C. Work completed in March 1889 and features a four story portico, with stone pediment, supported by six Corinthian columns set on large stone pilars. The statue of Miss Freedom has adorned the gold dome since the building’s opening.

The Martin Luther King Jr. National Historical Park covers about 35 acres and includes several sites related to his life and work. Within the park is his boyhood home, and Ebenezer Baptist Church where King was baptized and both he and his father Martin Luther King, Sr., were pastors. The park also includes the grave site of King, Jr., and his wife, civil rights activist Coretta Scott King.

In May 1886, Coca-Cola was invented by Doctor John Pemberton, a pharmacist from Atlanta, GA. He developed the syrup for the famed beverage, which was sampled at the local Jacob’s Pharmacy and was deemed to be “excellent”. Today Coca-Cola is a multi-national company which brings in a revenue of $33.01 billion dollars as of 2020. The World of Coca-Cola Museum showcases the history of the company.

The Georgia Aquarium is home to hundreds of species and thousands of animals across its seven major galleries, all of which reside in more than 11 million US gallons of fresh and saltwater. It was the largest aquarium in the world from its opening in 2005 until 2012.

Ominous clouds heading west out of Atlanta

First stop Earl L Small Jr Field 20GA

Talladega National Forest covers 392, 567 acres at the southern edge of the Appalachian Mountains

Passing Anniston Regional Airport

Landing at Talladega Mun KASN

Talladega Superspeedway, nicknamed “Dega” is a motorsports complex that was constructed in 1969 by the International Speedway Corporation on the former Anniston Air Force Base. Talladega is the longest NASCAR oval with a length of 2.66 miles. The total peak capacity is around 175,000 spectators. Such close quarters racing makes it extremely difficult for a driver to avoid an incident, and the slightest mistake can lead to a multi-car accident dubbed “the big one” by fans and drivers.

Heading back into cloud cover

Landing at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Intl KBHM

The cloud cover was very dense and I needed to take a real-life break so I decided to skip over downtown Birmingham as I wanted to be able to make it to the other places on my leg before sundown

Cool looking clouds after I returned and began heading south

Alabama Power Co. Coosa River Dam

Landing at the amazing Ware Island 01AL

Willow Point AL71

Lake Martin

Clouds are clearing up!

Landing at Moton Field 06A

Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site, at Moton Field in Tuskegee, Alabama, commemorates the contributions of African American airmen in World War II. Moton Field was the site of primary flight training for the pioneering pilots known as the Tuskegee Airmen and is now operated by the National Park Service to interpret their history and achievements.

Hiram “Hank” Williams began his music career in Montgomery, Alabama in 1937. He was a singer, songwriter, and musician and is regarded as one of the most significant and influential singers and songwriters of the 20th century. His final resting place is located only 1 mile from downtown.

In 1961 groups of volunteers made history by challenging the practice of segregated travel through the South. They called themselves the Freedom Riders as they crossed racial barriers in depots and onboard buses. The 1961 Freedom Riders did not begin or end their journey in Montgomery, Alabama, but their arrival changed the city and the nation. Freedom Riders, black and white, male and female, none of them older than 22, stepped off a bus at the Montgomery Greyhound Station on May 20, 1961. They were prepared to meet mob violence with non-violence and courage. They prepared farewell letters and wills. Their goal was to help end racial segregation in public transportation. And they did.

The Alabama State Capitol building is located on Capitol Hill, originally Goat Hill in Montgomery. Built between 1850-1851 in the Greek Revival architectural style. It served as the first political capital of the Confederate States of America in 1861 before Richmond, Virginia was designated as the capital. In 1964, more than 100 years later, the third Selma to Montgomery march ended at the front marble staircase of the Capitol, with the marches and events surrounding them directly leading to the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

The Edmund Pettus Bridge became a symbol of the momentous changes taking place in Alabama, America, and the world. It was here that voting rights marchers were violently confronted by law enforcement personnel on March 7, 1965. The day became known as Bloody Sunday.

A long moment of silence for all the lives lost during the Civil Rights Movement the rest of the way to Skyharbor Airport S63.

Thank you for coming along!

Cheers

2 Likes