Hold at Waypoint / Procedure Turns in Cessna Longitude

Ever wondered how to add procedure holds into your Garmin G5000 on the Cessna Longitude? Read along for details.

Backstory - I was flying into PKMJ (Marshall Islands / Amata Kabua Intl) on RNAV GPS Rwy 7 with WOZTI transition. In the Navigraph Charts approach plate, although I was on a NoPT approach (i.e. no procedure turn needed), I wanted to fly the procedure turn at OGEVE, turning 246 for 4nm, then back to 066 to approach OGEVE. But when loading this PROC Approach into the Longitude, you’ll just see WOZTI, OGEVE, UFUZO, RW07, with no optional procedure turn. So I disconnected the NAV as NOFKE, flew 123 to OGEVE, then a rate 1 turn to 246, then watched the distance to OGEVE, then rolled back around … basically flying it manually. Knowing that the sim models procedure turns in other places (e.g. on this approach, at TOZTO for the procedure missed approach), I figured that had to be an easy answer.

Turns out that there is! Click on the waypoint where you need the procedure turn or hold (e.g. OGEVE for this approach), and click on HOLD AT WAYPOINT. You now get a perfect menu to set up the hold, with these elements:

• Turn: Right or Left
  • Direction: Inbound or Outbound
  • Course: Into or away from the waypoint
  • Leg Length: Time or Distance
  • Leg Time or Distance … as needed for the hold.

Then hit Create, and hey presto, you get a hold step inserted straight ofter your waypoint.

What’s also interesting is how the entry to the hold is plotted. Depending on your angle to the racetrack pattern, you may go directly into the pattern, or parallel the pattern and then slide in, or do a teardrop entry, or just shave off the first turn. Looks like the G5000 will always fly you over the fix first, and then pick the correct turn into the hold.

To exit the hold, select the next waypoint, hit direct, set the course, and hit Activate.

Hope this helps somebody!

3 Likes