Homemade steering tiler

I find class, nice =)

Go for it!!! And please share with us.

Amazing!
A Tiller is on my to-do List.
I’ve completed a 737 MCP (files from 737DIYSIM.com) with a custom coded Software.

Currently I’m designing a custom A320 Throttle with detents and working reversers. If I am done, the files will of course be available for free :slight_smile:

Edit: would you mind sending me the cad Files for the tiller? What software did you use? Then my tiller would be completed way sooner.

3 Likes

Great job man! Please share more when you have it!!

Finally someone noticed how stupid and uncomfortable the joystick twist function is during critical phases like landing or starting :slight_smile: absolute fantastic work!
I would love to buy something like this as USB steering tiller in combination with the HOTAS.

2 Likes

+1 - immediate buy.

I like using the twist function on a stick for the tiller. You need to see where you’re going so if you have your thumb on the hat switch, you can turn the plane and your view at the same time.

This doesn’t work well on the TCA Sidestick because the twist is very bad.
I use a left handed VKB NXT EVO stick which has a really good twist and perfectly positioned hat switch.

This is the result. I combined it with the IRS panel that I needed to put somewhere (I don’t have a real overhead panel).

1 Like

gday Bug7911, . could you share your wiring diagram for the LEDS and POT please. I am interested in this as a project for MSFS

If you have a racing wheel gathering dust (like I did), you can assign it to the tiller wheel. I use the gear stick for landing gear and the foot pedals for the rudder. Works surprisingly well.

1 Like

Same here. I use the racing wheel for the tiller and the shifter for the landing gear.
Plus I can map all the buttons on the wheel to other functions.

1 Like

Racing wheel tiller brothers! :beers:

1 Like

Yes Sir. :beers:

1 Like

I just read this now. I will share with you once I get home.

Nice project.

Just wondering if the noise from the pot was an issue for you, and how you worked around it. (By noise, i’m referring to the reading from the pot fluctuating up and down by small increments.

I ask as i made a 3d printed trim wheel last year, and geared the wheel so that end to end deflection of the pot took like 5 or 6 full turns of the wheel, thinking it would make for more accurate trim control. In the end it was unusable as i could not get a stable reading from the pot (and i tried a few algorithms to remove the noise, non of which gave me the result i was looking for).

thanks champ.