Honeycomb Alpha cable replacement

The cable that connects the yoke to the base broke on me. It falls out now pretty much every time I bring the yoke towards me. Any ideas on how I can replace this?

Yoke Connector Cable – Honeycomb Aeronautical (flyhoneycomb.com)

Honeycomb Aeronautical SPARE PART - RJ45 Yoke Connector Cable for Alpha | eBay

I Repaired my Alpha Yoke’s RJ-45 Port - Alpha Flight Controls Support - The AVSIM Community

1 Like

Hi,

If the cable still works, maybe you could insert it into the yoke and secure it by using hot glue around the plug. I would not use regular glue since the cable would then become attached permanently.
You could also try to contact Honeycomb or Aerosoft and ask if they have a replacement cable.

It’s a weak point in the design isn’t it. You are not the first and will not be the last to suffer this fault. I’d suggest getting a new cable from HC but given the current situation with them I’m guessing that’s not an option. If that’s the case you could cut and Re-terminate with a new plug. You’ll need a network cable termination hand tool to make that job easier. Perhaps an IT repair shop in your area could effect a similar repair. Not sure about wiring on the HC cable but if it’s standard network cable pin out you could substitute with a short network cable. Some ideas to research.

Using that keystone was a bad move, its not designed to be yanked on repeatedly.

Seems a bit much to replace that specialized cable just because that tab broke, but I don’t like the hot glue idea - too easy to mess up the socket.

I’d have a go with a folded slip of paper on the tab side, lay the paper (or anything else that can act as a wedge) along the tab side and push the end onto the socket.

If I were engineering it, I’d have specced a retainer over the end or beside the socket to hold the actual CABLE to keep the tension from reaching the keystone.

Maybe a “Command Hook” designed to hold a smal.cable could be adhered beside the socket and positioned with the wire thru it so the hook gets tugged on and not the socket.

Such connectors, if not worn, will usually stay put with a broken tab if you don’t pull on it.

3 Likes

As suggested I would just grab a standard RJ45 and see if it is pinned the same (won’t hurt anything to try).

Failing that, they are pretty cheap on E-Bay if you are not comfortable or don’t have the tools to make a new one.

1 Like

These work GREAT https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793GWR77/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They replace the broken clip on the RJ45 connector

1 Like

Thanks everybody for your input. I’m going to try these from Amazon first. Hopefully that works out alright.

Do let us know, never saw them before and they look like a great little product if they work.

If they work they’ll certainly be an easy solution. Looks like they just replace the broken/worn clip.

They work GREAT and I have been using them for over a year…

1 Like