Honeycomb Alpha Flight Yoke issues day 1

Good evening fellow simmers,

This is not a moaning post - I realise that this flight yoke by Honeycomb is quite a step up, and as such will need some time configuring…but I have one serious issue that I’d like some advice over as well as a few small ones…

1. Firstly - set up was good - downloaded the software which installed- and managed to set up some custom buttons - not many as most were already in the right place.
  2. Now - I’ve had to keep my Saitek and Throttle package attached as I have no separate throttle to use until I potentially order the Honeycomb Bravo. I’ve disabled the two pich and roll axis so that there would be minimum conflict, but I am wondering if there is conflict leaving the Saitek attached…as yet I’ll explain
  3. Small issues - the pitch control when flying the Cessna is very very sensitive - I only have to move it a tiny amount before the aircraft climbs. Is this due to the Saitek still attached, or do I just have to edit sensitivity settings? Same with the roll axis - I’m using about a quarter of the travel and the plane turns quite hard.
  4. Biggest issue - the autopilot since attaching the Honeycomb. Unusable!! Get the aircraft nicely on track or near as, hit the Autopilot switch having set the altiude, rate of climb and the Nav key, and the aircraft goes all over the shop. It can’t find the track, it climbs hugely and stalls.
    Now this didn’t happen at all with the Saitek attached - I’ve never had autopilot issues like this since purchasing the sim.

The only other thing I’m thinking is that I installed the Honeycomb download which got installed in the Community Folder. Yet I see some Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo files in the Input folder. Did I need to install the software from Honeycomb? In installing the Honeycomb Download, have I created the conflict??
The autopilot is the biggest concern - what has happened to make it go so do-lally like this?? The only auto pilot switch I’m using on the Alpha is the master autopilot button on the right had side of the yoke.

Advise very gratefully received!!

It’s difficult to help you without any details of how you have configured the Alpha and the Saitek throttle, but if things don’t work as expected you need to solve them one at a time. I would begin by checking for conflicting bindings between the two. And the pitch sensitivity can be adjusted in the sim. Look for Sensitive in the Control Settings for the Alpha.

You don’t need any Honeycomb software for the Alpha. That one is for the Bravo and only controls the lights on that one. Having it in the Community folder cannot cause the problems you’re having, I’m sure.

The sensitivity out of the box is quite agressive.

This is the guide I used and used the same settings.

1 Like

Many thanks SkypilotYTS,

I’ve just landed at Shoreham airport having successfully completed the same short flight from Southampton three times!
Once with the original Saitek and Throttle - once with just the new Honeycomb and then with the Honeycomb + Saitek (with Saitek flight surface control removed) so that I could use a throttle.

The long and short of it is that I think there was a mild panic attack last night!! Switching on the autopilot, and the aircraft simply goes everywhere but where it’s supposed to. I had wondered whether the ultra response of the new yolk was the reason, but I’m afraid it was simpler than that.

Throughout my Saitek experience, I’ve been setting up the autopilot on the ground - ALT setting, VS setting and then switching the NAV key on.

Once airborne and established on the Nav line so to speak, I’d simply hit the master AutoPilot control and the aircraft would make small adjustments to find the perfect track, so to speak.

Last night and again today, it transpires that NAV was not activated, at least having pressed the button whilst on the ground - pressing the NAV button after hitting the master AutoPilot button put me right back on track. So (says he rather red faced) the masive control loss was not flight yoke related at all.

However, in between flights 2 and 3, I had started to play with the sensitivity settings which were all at 100% central. I do believe I have improved things a little already, but will watch the guide you have kindly provided.

Should anyone have any sensitivity settings to recommend, I’d be interested to see them. For the moment, the crisis appears to be over.

I’d also like to hear from folk concerning the NAV switch - shouldn’t I be able to switch it on whilst on the ground stationary and then let the master AutoPilot switch activate all three autopilot bits I’ve utilised - ie Alt, VS rate, and NAV??

Thank you for reading this!

1 Like

HI there,

is everything ok with Your autopilot now? I have smiliar issue. When flying with bravo and saitek multipanel i have setup the ALT and VS. I did activate it and everything was fine. Then i activated NAV and plane was a little crazy - ok, so i turned the AP off and…what a mess. Plane was flying like a crazy horse…more - i couldnt use my Yoke because simulator wasnt reacting correctly etc.

So similar to You i have got honeycomb yoke and multipanel and AP sometimes (not always…thats why its hard to find whats wrong) goes crazy trying to do a stall and kill me :smiley:

Hi there,
Yep, my Auto Throttle issue is resolved - and it was nothing to do with the Alpha unit conflicting with anything - just me not activating the Nav button properly within the sim having ditched the Saitek!
I have since bought the Bravo unit and that is spectacularly good. The addition of a working AP control is a real bonus - works a treat and can thoroughly recommend.

You mention that you are using a Bravo and Saitek multipanel - are you trying to use the auto pilot control on the Saitek unit? If so, there may be conflict with the Bravo if you have commands programmed on the Auto Pilot buttons as well. Check that you have removed the autopilot commands from all the buttons and the two rotary controls either side of the buttons.

If however you are using the Bravo for autopilot, there may be conflict with the multipanel’s AP controls should any be there. You may have to edit the commands for the Multipanel in that case - if indeed you are able to do so…I don’t own a Saitek Multipanel so can’t advise too much on that.

1 Like

Thank You for response and sorry for my late. Glad to hear You have no problems now.

Yes, im using both. Saitek and Bravo - what im doing is using Saitek for ALT (keeping knob on alt all the time) and bravo for VS (the same but knob on bravo VS). Maybe thats why there is a conflict.

I have now delete the ALT Bug in Bravo and later i turn off the AP button. I will fly this weekend and will check if thats worked.

Thank You for the tip!

No problems - there are a few ways around it of course and the way you suggest may well work.
I’d also consider keeping the ALT and the VS on the Bravo unit and removing the ALT button from the Saitek - I just find the Bravo unit so very reliable that it would be my first preference in controlling all things AutoPilot!
Double check that there is no keyboard command that clashes as well - use the ‘Keyboard’ controller section within MSF2020 and do a search for anything AutoPilot related - there may possibly be a clash there also.
Hope it goes ok!!