Honeycomb Alpha vs. Alpha XPC

I just purchased an XPC after owning an Alpha for about a year and the difference is night and day. The feel is better, the build feels better. The precision is a step up. The lack of potentiometers is obvious and noticeable in a very good way. If you are on the fence about upgrading I suggest it. Your Alpha fits in the XPC box if you need to ship it. Well worth it and really brings the Honeycomb Yoke to it’s true potential.

6 Likes

I should also mention I didn’t have to redo any of my profiles either.

3 Likes

Can confirm. Got my XPC today and the settings of my ‘old’ Alpha remained.

Did a few flights with the JF Turbo Arrow and the JPL C152: the sensitivity of the XPC is definitely a lot better. Also the elevator axis moves a little lighter and it’s much easier to make small corrections on both axes.
Don’t know if I am making sense, but with my old one it always felt a little as if I had to overcome some kind of resistance when moving the yoke from the central position forward or backward. That is gone now. Also everything feels a tad more direct to me now. The only thing missing would be force feedback.

XBox compatibility is something I have no use for but is certainly a plus for all the XBox players out there. The XPC now also works as an USB-C hub. So you connect one USB-C device directly to the back of your housing.

I especially like the new spring in the starter knob. That is astonishingly immersive and feels very close to the real thing. It’s a very small addition but it had quite a large impact on me when I turned the knob and the C152 came to life.

Visually the changes are minor and barely worth mentioning. The front mesh is now rectangular instead of round. That’s basically it.

All in all the XPC definitely is more than a marketing ploy and offers some significant impovements over it’s predecessor. However, it’s still quite a lot of money for an update since you probably won’t get half for the “old” Alpha compared to what the XPC will cost you. For me personally it’s worth it but I could understand anyone who feels differently

6 Likes

Glad to hear this my Alpha just died tonight just short of a year old too. I ordered the XPC from Honeycomb direct hope it gets here quick.

Any updates on how the XPC is performing? Getting ready to start instrument training and looking to update my home setup. The XPC is $100 more at this time, so wondering if this XPC version is worth the extra $ compared to the original PC version?

Working well. No drift and very solid. Would recommend.

Can’t comment on the Alpha (never bought it) but i’ve had the Alpha XPC since mid Feb 2023 and I am finding it very good.

Not experiencing any drift or any other negative experiences with it. Occasionally it is challenging finding the right bindings for some of the controls (usually sorted out with Lorby’s Axis & Ohs) but this negative is more a reflection on the particular aircraft developer’s assignment of control variables rather than the Honeycomb yoke itself.

I paid around £255 and imo for that price it is a solid product. I use it with the Bravo on GA and occasionally the PMDG 737 and it is very immersive.

How is it size wise, especially regarding smaller “home cockpits”? The initial Alpha is a but huge. Also, I, on a personal view, noticed that the prices have increased quite a bit, which is why I will have to think about it a bit more intensely to be really convinced.

Kind regards.

I have it in my cart, but trying to decide if i want to spend $350 plus $20 shipping.

Just got my Alpha XPC. Flew for an hour or so…

Very precice compared to my Saitek.

It seems a little stiff but if you trim the plane well it’s a real pleasure to use.

Was flying hands-off for a lot of the time.

Real easy to set up too…most of it was auto.

I think I like it.

Yes, it’s like night and day compared with the Saitek which I bought years ago and couldn’t get on with.

I think the only thing I would discard the Alpha XPC for now (and go back to a throttle) would be a Heli., a WW2 fighter or a civ jet which in RL has a throttle.

For me, a great purchase.

I gotta admit I spoiled myself because
I also have a HOTAS warthog so I’ve got it covered.

cheers

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I’ve been looking for the XPC variant in my area, it’s simply impossible to deliver at this time. The first alpha variant is in stock somewhere. Coming from a 25$ joystick it’s obviously clear that this will be an improvement! Do I mis a lot if I go with the first generation?

The first sentence in this topic makes me thinking…. “The difference is night and day”

Hopes this weird question makes some sense.

Thanks in advance,
Bram

30% off
Honeycomb - Alpha Flight Controls XPC | Aerosoft Shop

1 Like

Amazing hahaha this one I can order!!

Thank you so much!!!

Strange I didn’t think of that :see_no_evil:

-Bram

1 Like

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:
Fly safe capt.