Honeycomb Alpha yoke – ground steering impossible

I just installed the Honeycomb Alpha yoke and it works fine up in the air, but on the ground I’m unable to steer the aircraft. It doesn’t respond at all to roll input from the yoke. I’ve been googling the issue and found different answers and one that seemed quite straightforward said “I just set the roll axis for my Honeycomb to also control the nose wheel steering. Working fine for me.” Now I don’t know how to do that, and would appreciate if anyone could explain, or if there are other suggestions on how to solve this steering problem.

First off, which aircraft is this for? Some aircraft have specific nose wheel steering settings required, while others you would just use the rudder pedals (do you have pedals)?

This is the Diamond DA40. I don’t have rudder pedals.

Go into your options menu, assistance options, turn on Auto Rudder and give it a try.

Long thread on it here;

1 Like

On the ground you need rudders in order to make turns :wink:

1 Like

I think you have a bit of mis-understanding on this. The yoke of an aircraft does not control the ground steering of an aircraft like a car steering wheel would. You use your feet to control the rudder and any linked nose wheel steering or a hand operated tiller on the big birds. You can set the assistance option for auto rudder and it will couple the steering to the yoke as you want until you get some pedals.

3 Likes

Turning on auto rudder solved it. I used to have it set to off because the aircraft often used to veer off the flight plan path (magenta line) on autopilot, and someone suggested to turn off auto rudder as a solution (and it helped). Thank you all for your input!

Glad you got it sorted.

The DA40 has a free-castering nose wheel; it must be steered on the ground by differential braking when there isn’t enough air going over the tail for rudder authority. (Certainly the yoke will not help steer, unless some assist is used.)

2 Likes