Horrible water waves at high wind speeds

At higher wind speeds the water waves look glitched. The foam textures are getting stretched, and the 3D waves look too sharp and are too high.

First video is taken with Water Waves set to Low, and the second one set to High from nearly ground level. Wind speed is set to 150 kts to exaggerate the issue, but the glitches are visible even from 50 kts and faster.

If anyone else could test this to see if this on my system only it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately there is also another major issue, the foam texture is exhibiting some gnarly repetition artifacts, extremely visible even from a medium altitude. Clearly something went wrong when improving the waves.

2 Likes

Seeing the same thing. Looks pretty terrible.

3 Likes

not for me at high speed, but at low (or 0) wind speed, wave, and ocean look horrible since Patch 3
Patch don’t fixe issues but add newer.
it’s hopeless.

I guess this issue is only on my end then, though from the looks of it everyone is affected by the tiling foam texture according to another thread. Unless more people report the waves issue I shall file a personal Zendesk report. Could you let me know which GPU vendor and driver version you are using?

I use a very old Gainward Phantom NVidia GTX 970
And latest drivers from NVidia

1 Like

Curious, as I’m also on the latest drivers and using a GPU with the same architecture. But thank you for your report.

Watch this with different winds speeds and see the best water and waves of this sim that were only in the first 2 versions of the sim version 1712 and 1714 after those version water downgrade bigtime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQQaP7PKDk Go t minute 22:00 Only my opnion

1 Like

I think many people, myself included, agree that the waves looked best at launch. With 1.8.3.0 it seems that they were bugged with preset weather (with live weather the waves looked fine), and while trying to fix them in 1.9.3.0 they broke something else. I’ve reported the issues to Zendesk and they were submitted to their internal bug tracker. Hopefully the next patch will do something about this.

1 Like

Tested this issue and yes, I am still seeing the water waves look like this :slight_smile:

To repro, go out onto any large body of water and set winds to max.

1 Like