Hot topic weather issues

Any word on asobo paying more details to hot topics in the weather section. The icing in the changelogs to me is more a terrain issue than weather

Agreed, would have loved to see more weather related improvements. Especially more cloud variations and densities.

10 Likes

Thunderstorm visible up above FL220 too

I think thats all something we’re going to have to wait to (hopefully) see in FS2024.

Well like ive posted and @Perrry will know is that its been neglected and its a major aviation related varible. Im just saying might as well start ti integrated things in 2024 in 2020 to polish everything off and have a practical open beta test

1 Like

I think that small fix shows how little time they spend of improving the weather simulation of MSFS 2020.

7 Likes

Yup unfortunately its been like this for i think since SU5 if i recall

4 Likes

Hi,

SU7 weather induced issues still persist, my guess is they’ve given up and will improve with MSFS2024, a shame the weather in the current Sim went backwards and there’s no desire to repair it.

Thanks

4 Likes

See im gonna sound negative but im not even giving any hope and little faith to msfs2024 they neglected it this long is msfs 2020 and released dune. Those dev resources couldve went to a weather related updated. My opinion and unless people vpte and side with us it wont matter to ones who get paid to develop for the sim unfortunately

2 Likes

Hopefully weather, better turbulence modeling, cloud turbulence, cloud density and opacity is their focus for SU16! It’s ridiculous that we pretty much get no turbulence in clouds generated through live weather! It’s very bad for a flight simulator.

5 Likes

Yes exactly. @Perrry and i have been both bringing up a seperate uodate just for weather. Just like they did for the default aircraft. I think its more needed than just a simple couple su updates

1 Like

It’s possible that the team that created the Dune release have nothing to do with fixing core features of the Sim, such as weather.

It could be thats why i said “resources”

This should be a top priority.

There are many here that have given up on the sim due to the unacceptable shortcomings in the sim’s weather (especially live)

A few of us check the forums every now and then to see if it’ll ever catch up, but otherwise, have no interest in a new release (nor are spending any money on the marketplace in the meantime)

Now, it should be clear that absolute perfection is beyond anyone’s expectation for any given feature. But a grand axiom of engineering states:

If you can’t make it perfect, make it adjustable (“moddable” in this case)

If we had proper SDK access for 3rd party wx solutions, (such as REX, Hi-Fi and such) then none of this would be a real problem.

Everything else in the sim that isn’t quite alright can be addressed in some way or another by modding, even if it ends up costing a few bucks. except weather

Alas, this effectively defeats MSFS’ potential to become the undisputable sim-to-end-all-sims platform package that it perhaps could be.

Too much focus on front-end gimmicks. Nowhere near enough on foundational items that, if not entirely perfect right off the box, others could greatly expand upon.

Short-sighted in the extreme, IMHO.

7 Likes

1000% agreed

2 Likes

because these things are not important for the target audience…

more clear: Sim lovers (we) are not at all the target audience, the mainstream gamer is bc thats where more potential money is, on top of that a main reason for ms to develop msfs is that they can do research and development for things thats most important to them in future business = cloud streaming stuff and ai (bc thats where the big money is), thats also the whole concept behind the platform xbox (and why they have drastically altered the approach behind it since the xbox 360 and why it got so bad from then on) and they are clever enough (or the consumers are not smart enough) to get paid for these things…

I wouldn’t go as far as saying we are not the target audience! MSFT and Asobo both know that we are the ones spending major money and supporting the Sim! Between gear upgrades, addons, etc. the core simmers (us) are spending upwards of $400-$500 a year and considering the large market, we are talking about a lot of money here! So I think, it’s just not as easy for them to fix these in the current Sim, perhaps, and they have more important things to address to satisfy the general audience (i.e. keep them interested, better performance, etc.) before the very specific things like cloud turbulence, etc.

Well thats marketing, visually fun and nothing deep to me

I really hope that you are right and I’m wrong, but looking at how the sim evolved and gaming in general in the last 20 years, the digital culture as such, the instrumentalization of the word simulation alone, with the aim of making the average gamer believe that he has learned and accomplished something “difficult” in 5 minutes and then simply the pure mass of casual gamers (with regard to the potential proportion of casual whales among them) compared to the really small proportion of realism-enthusiast-whales today, makes me doubt it very much.

But I really hope I’m wrong this time.

1 Like

I know what you are saying, but I don’t think something like that would last very long and I hope MSFT knows that. The enthusiasm comes from core simmers and the rest will give it a try for a while (still make money for the company, but not in a long run). We shall see. Well, I also hope you are wrong and I am right :rofl:

2 Likes