How bout that new Vive Pro 2

I also preordered because i specifically wanted a headset with steamvr implementation of motion smoothing and steamvr experience, but with reverb resolution and screen.

Then yesterday i found out not only that it does not support steamvr motion smoothing, but that it also needs the vive launcher or whatever open to work with steamvr. Which makes it exactly like a reverb where you need wmr open, and you can’t use steamvr smoothing, but have to use that arguably lackluster wmr implementation.

So this makes vive pro2 exactly a reverb g2 experience wise (probably with bugs, incompatibilities) but with bigger fov, same ppd density, heavier, worse comfort, sound is a sidegrade (subjective). I find the price fair.

I canceled the preorder. Steamvr experience was the stuff that mattered most. Reverb g2 is not great software wise, but at least i got used to it’s quirks and i learned how to work with it. I would not waste time doing this with another headset ever. I’m waiting for an index 2 or apple headset if the rumours are true.

2 Likes

I haven’t canceled just yet, but it’s feeling very likely at this point. I also preordered specifically because I basically wanted a higher-res Index. The Index has been a great headset for me, the panel just can’t compete with the current gen ones. Agree with everything you said.

I’ve watched 2 more reviews (in French) and I have mixed feelings about this one. I fear this will be as disappointing as with the G2: sounds good on paper, a total mess in practice.

I know this sounds arch in the middle of a forum - and others - where everyone is praising the G2, but being used to the Index, the knuckles and the LH tracking, I find it is really really hard to find anything else better that is giving as much as good a total VR experience, despite its panels are having a lower res than the G2

The first review below is a live stream where he is really trying hard to using it. This wasn’t a problem with the headset but with the operator being confused and maybe tired:

Conclusion: meh for now with the visuals, but he is doing another live stream today at 9PM French time.

The other review is a little bit more scientific where he is comparing his findings with many other headsets. The results are looking unbiased:

Conclusion: pricy for what it is, sweet spot not stellar, validated 120deg HFOV, smaller VFOV though. There are a lot of bar graphs in the review and depending on your priorities you’ll find how this fares against other headsets.

PS: I’d recommend you watch the other reviews on the ETR VR channel. I did with the Pimax 8KX yesterday, just to make sure of the journalistic consistency with unbiased reviews, and this was quite good a review and a conclusion for this headset overall.

My conclusion: at this stage and for the time being, until maybe a new rumoured Samsung is appearing, I’d rather wait for the Decagear reviews (if it ever hits the market), or the Index 2. I personally find Valve has nailed the correct factors making a good VR experience with the Index in every single category, Unfortunately the panels are low in res by today’s standards because it was designed more than 3 years ago, but an Index 2 honestly is just lacking a little more FOV and higher res, that’s all.

2 Likes

Still using my Quest 2, but i have one question regarding an expression used here in the above posts, “inside out controls”, what is the meaning of that ? seems to be awaited by many people here…
Thanks for any explanation for a “poor” french not able to understand this wording :slight_smile:

Inside out tracking is where the sensors are in the headset itself and there is no need for external sensors such as the “lighthouse” tracking on the Vive. The HP Reverb and Oculus Quest headsets have inside out tracking.

hmmm, apparently i should be happy to use a Quest 2, but what is missing when u use a Vive without this inside out tracking ?
when u move ur head the image doesn’t follow ?

Tracking is slightly better with external sensors, especially for controllers when you move your hands behind you back, down, or up, or in front of each other.
With inside-out tracking controllers would become invisible to cameras on headset, but would be visible to external sensors (if they are placed right).

The Vive Launcher runtime doesn’t even compare to the mess that is WMR Portal.
WMR software is the absolute worst in terms of bugs and Windows KB Updates constantly breaking things. I guarantee the Vive 2 will wipe the floor with the G2 in all categories except maybe comfort.
As someone whos experienced the Vive and WMR HMDs since day 1 releases I could never go back to WMR and it’s poor quality control with firmware updates. Which sucks because my Odyssey Plus is an absolute great headset but it’s tethered to the crappiest VR software imaginable… …WMR.
I hope if Samsung does consider a new HMD they just totally skip the WMR partnership and just go direct SteamVR.
Not even scratching the surface on the performance tether bottlenecks of WMR-SteamVR WMR Compositor -Game Title.
Then the bigger bug/performance tug of war between WMR Firmware/SteamVR/Windows Updates/Nvidia Updates.

2 Likes

I loved my Vive Pro. HTC makes good headsets and I bet this new one is a worthy replacement. I use a G2 mostly and it was extremely uncomfortable until I got a top strap and counterweight from Studioform Creative. I was seriously considering giving up the high resolution and excellent optics because the fit was so uncomfortable.

Can’t say for sure but I’d bet most everyone who gets the Vive Pro 2 will be very pleased with it. If that strap/counterweight hadn’t fixed the fit of my G2, I would be preordering the Pro 2. Not sure of Valve’s current intentions but I suspect my next headset will be an “Index 2” if they bring it.

Its also lacking distribution, Can’t get the Index here in Aus :frowning:

1 Like

I am coming from G2, only purchased the headset so now need to get the basestation and controllers.

Do I need to get two of each?

It would be best to get two of each.

I have heard of users with only one lighthouse but I do not find it ideal and might have tracking issues.

As far as I know the Index controllers are only sold in pairs.

not really… went from a Rift S to a Quest 2 and didnt notice any major performance hit, even in heavy titles like HL:Alyx. Cant relate to MSFS since the performance was poor anyways at this time.

1 Like

Ive been flying quite a lot of Sturmovik IL2 with my Vive Pro and only one base station. It works quite well,when sitting in a chair, but once in a while when turning around and looking back, the connection drops for a few seconds. For any other usage (ie. standing, or games where you turn around) you definately need two base stations.

Though, you could buy a used Vive (first gen) with two v.1 base stations. They comes alot cheaper than two new v2 base stations, and they works just as good.

The original controllers (v1) doesnt work with the Vive Pro, so propably not with the Pro 2 either. Youll need the v2 controllers or the Valve knuckles (prefered).

Original wand controllers (v1) do not work with new base stations (v2), but if you have old controllers and old base stations - they work just fine with Vive Pro (and should work with Vive Pro 2).

Any of you who preordered received yours yet and have any impressions to share? Mine still hasn’t shipped :frowning:

Recieved mine today as expected. Things that have caught my attention;

• The G2 is actually more comfortable ~ to prevent the VP2 moving too much on my head I had to tighten it quite a bit, resulting in my forehead going numb after a couple hours!

• The glare/god rays are just awful compared to the G2. Some reviewers said they aren’t quite as bad as the index, but personally I would debate that as they felt worse.

• The image isn’t as crisp as in the G2, despite the higher resolution (yes I was running it at ultra on my 3090). For example in the 172 G1000, from my usual seated position, the text “Oil Press” had crisp edges on the G2, with them appearing blurred in the VP2 (yes I aimed for the same render resolution for both units).

• The audio is reasonable when you get the pads positioned right, but still no where near as good as the G2/Index.

• Motion reprojection can ONLY be done with a single switch in the Vive Console software (its disabled in SteamVR for any adjustment), and it’s pretty poor; you get some pretty funky visual artifacts and shifting going on with HTC’s implementation of motion smoothing. With the latest updates to SteamVR I would say the Index is now the best implementation. That said, you can still lock the framerate within SteamVR settings, which is nice to smooth things out.

• Colour reproduction does appear to be a little better than the G2, and much better than the Index.

• Being able to use the valve knuckles controllers is such a relief after the G2’s poor implementation.

• The FOV is noticably wider than that of the G2, it’s a bit like the index but without the added vertical FOV. Overall this is welcome and much nicer for immersion. I tried a test flight from a random starting point (as in not on the ground) at 8k feet. I went to make a controlled rapid decent and had a definite sensation of the velocity that I was previously oblivious to to a large extent with the G2.

• Did I mention the glare was gawd awful? This is even offputting in an airport at dusk/dark with all the ground lighting. Horrendous coming from a G2, but learnt to live with it a bit now.

• Another small thing that has actually made MSFS unusable for now with the VP2, are the pop-up windows, for example the ATC window. They glue themselves to each eye at point blank distance, meaning you are unable to do anything with them at all apart from close them from the ribbon again before being blinded.

• The one killer feature the VP2 has over the G2, is in it’s tracking. Base station tracking is by far superior to inside out tracking and it’s very apparent!

Overall, its a nice headset, with some caveats. I’d definitely say the G2 remains king for visual clarity (within the sweet spot only), but boy that sensation of speed from the larger FOV has actually made me want to keep the VP2 as my main MSFS driver, especially giving consideration to the superior tracking of the VP2. The only major critisism at this point is with MSFS itself, and the ribbon menu windows attaching them selves to each eye ball, although I’m sure this “should” get ironed out soon.

Anyway, hope this helps!

2 Likes

That is not correct. Old base stations work with Vive Pro and Pro 2, old controllers don’t. I know that for a fact, cause I’m currently running my Pro with old base stations, but my old controllers doesn’t work with the headset so I’ve bought knuckles.

From my personal experience: I initially had original Vive, then purchased Vive Pro headset only, and it perfectly worked with original bases and controllers for couple years (until upgraded to Reverb G2).

Really? This gets intriguing. Are you sure you don’t have the v2 controllers?