How Can I Create Templates & Scripts for AAO

Can anyone give me a pointer please, where I might be able to start discovering how to write script for Axis and Ohs with the Berhinger X-Touch Mini?

There is (was?) a thread on this forum with hundreds of post and examples of AAO. The AAO creator was responding in this thread.
For the beginning - you connect your X-Touch, you enter button assignment dialog in AAO, you pres the button or turn a knob, you assign a function (LVAR) you want to control - and your are done.
You will need to write scripts in RPN (Reverse Polish Notation - I like them, because I’m Polish) only for more difficult cases. You can find examples in AAO manual or on flightsim.to. I copied some Aerosoft CRJ scripts from Flightsim.to and adapted them, without any deeper understanding how they work - I just replaced one LVAR with another within the scripts.
But for initial config and button assignment, you will not need any scripting.

There are many sets of scripts for specific aircraft available on flightsim.to that you can download and import and then simply connect to your xtouch through AAO.

Remember to enable midi devices in AAO otherwise your xtouch won’t work!

I did a post a little while ago on some of this, and I’ll try to find it and link it here.

Depending on what you are doing, you rarely need to actually write any RPN scripts - I’m useless at it and really don’t understand the whole Lvars etc stuff. If i can do it anyone can!

Not exactly the post i was looking for, but there are a few links in the linked post that you might find useful.

Lastly, i can’t recommend enough the videos ftom this youtuber too (and other lessons here)

Folks, thank you both very much. It was FSOS that really persuaded me to go the X-Touch Mini route (plus the fact that I picked up a brand new one from ebay at 1/2 price), I was initially thinking Stream Deck. So, using core AAO templates for Autopilot & G1000 is going well for the Garmin G1000Nxi. I have looked at available templates on Flightsim.to but none of them quite fit what I want to do. The only one that I downloaded makes absolutely no sense to me at all. The core templates don’t offer a way of setting the heading bug and I haven’t, so far, been able to find out how to write the necessary and import it to AAO. I did ask the AAO folks for advice on their Avsim site and got some information back but the only clue to writing my own solution was that it would need a RPN Script.

I have just joined FSOS Discord Channel and am looking for advice there.

Big shout out for Funatic on Discord. Sorted my problem in 10 minutes simply by showing me that AAO will search for and find the Event that you’re looking for (if it is there). For me, Heading Bug INC and DEC was under the Event list for Flight Assistance and not in Autopilot or G1000, where I was looking. Makes sense really as it really is neither an autopilot nor G1000 function. That old saying ‘Brain in gear before mouth in motion’ springs to mind.

I’m similarly using Axis and Ohs to get the copilot to do whatever I haven’t got popped out onto a touchscreen, for PMDG 738 (MSFS PC). I’m looking for a script to set the transponder code… has anyone seen such a script?

Never mind, I’ve just written one myself… wanted to learn more about the scripting language, anyway. Now I tell my FO “set squawk code at xyza” and she replies, “Squawk code is xyza” (ideally… often, if I don’t slow my speech down enough, she sets something other than what I wanted, but then I find out about it when she reads me back what she’s actually set in the code window). And I don’t have to mouse around or twirl dials on my radio panel popout, which I’m really not crazy about. Someday, will get a hardware radio panel for this cockpit, with real knobs that turn, but that’s not yet my highest priority item.