How do I change the engine - inner cockpit?

I want to replicate my cockpit of my VL3 in MSFS 2020 and therefore remove the current Glasscockpit and go to the basic instruments. Is anyone how I can change the VL3 of Asobo? And I would also like to change the engine settings because to the Rotax 915 142hp because currently it is the Rotax 912. if anyone can tell me how we can change that.

I’m not sure if it’s possible to edit the 3d models. I know that the old .mdl files used in FSX were closed source and impossible to edit (aside from being converted to new formats using ModelConverterX).

Looking at the VL-3’s files it looks like they end with .gltf and .bin, with a couple XML files and a CFG file to hold them all together. May want to look around for programs that can open those. Perhaps the software development kit (SDK) has something?

I wouldn’t know for sure, I’m nowhere near knowledgeable on this matter, but if I were to try to figure it out, that’s where I would start.

You’ll also likely need to create new cockpit textures, and possibly new exterior textures if the new engine affects the aircraft’s external appearance. I’m pretty confident that the SDK has tools to do this, as I’ve already seen some good community mods. You’ll also need new flight dynamics to correspond to the performance with the new engine. This is easy enough, most of this is governed in simple CFG files that you can open in NotePad to display text data. You probably won’t be able to master it in a day, but I bet you can get satisfactory results with a bit of tinkering.

1 Like

How much knowledge do you have of 3D modelling and aircraft model modification in general?

3D modeling skills: advanced.
aircraft model modification skills in general: beginner.

1 Like

engine settings are in systems.cfg/flightmodel.cfg, download the documentation, you’ll need it
there is a msfs to blender exporter in progress by the flybywire team GitHub - flybywiresim/glTF-Blender-IO-MSFS: Fork of the official Blender glTF 2.0 importer and exporter designed for MSFS 2020

1 Like

Yeah i have multiple years of experience with Wildfire/CREO, CATIA and other programs.
The transistion between those were tricky, but they are pretty similar when it comes to making something.

Blender on the other hand… no idea,

1 Like