How do I opt in to beta testing

In 2022, how do I opt in to beta testing. As I understand, I have to get the XBOX insider app, go to the previews and the click on MSFS.

The problem I am finding is that I cannot see MSFS as a choice in the five preview options.

As I understand Jorg seemed to believe that the SUVIII beta would be accessible on Feb 7th, if I understand correctly. (Live twitch stream January 29th).

I am not using steam by the way.

1 Like

I was in the last Beta but at the moment it would appear SU8 is not yet available as its not in my previews.

1 Like

Ok so is that a case of waiting for the Beta Release date before I should see it in my previews?

I anticipated seeing previews available already if it was for older betas.

One thing to be mindful of, and they are very clear about this in the Terms and Conditions is that you need to do a complete uninstall at the end of the beta and reinstall from the store after removing yourself from the beta program. This has to happen even if it’s the same build number you’ve been testing.

3 Likes

That was true for the last beta if you use the standard installation path in C:users/appdata etc. I had to do absolutely nothing with my installation on E: except getting thrown out and downloading an update. It was a matter of a couple of minutes.

2 Likes

Was just conscious a little of people had bother with it and that is what they advised doing. :+1:

Just a heads up with Microsoft insider/beta setup. Some programs/addons wont run if your system is setup with that. Just saying, be ready to drop a few things. Ive only run in to a few, one being overwolf which effects a few games. I just stopped using those addons.

You can read what they actually said about this here (see the paragraph in italics):

Some people with standard install locations had to reinstall, some didn’t. A few people with custom install locations had to reinstall too (but seemed like a very small number and there seemded to be links to how/when they chose to exit the beta) - most who were on custom install locations had no isues.

It’s pretty easy to move the sim to another drive/location if you have one, without needing to reinstall everything. There are many posts in the forum covering this - so if you are worried, you can do this before the beta.

2 Likes

Thanks all. Good to know. I’ll check after it’s released and take my chances with reinstallation.

Moving your “Packages” folder to a custom location drastically reduces the size of the download required to reinstall the sim when needed (e.g., leaving a beta).

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-change-the-installation-path-of-installed-packages-inc-community-folder

2 Likes

You don’t have to. I’ve been in plenty of betas and it never required a full reinstall. The thing is, it might happen, so you have to be prepared for it. And for CTD’s, and for spending time reporting bugs and issues.

2 Likes

How to join as a Xbox user?

They will probably tell you when it’s available but you might just do it through the Insider App on your Xbox.

1 Like

Feb 7th is probably based on PST so if there is a beta it would be available tomorrow.

1 Like

I don’t see MSFS listed at all. So back to the original question, how do I opt in?

The beta has to be available in order for you to opt in. It hasn’t been opened or even announced yet.

2 Likes

For those like I that are eagerly awaiting the Sim Update 8 Flighting/Beta:

I would imagine that Asobo are going to treat each Flighting/Beta similar to how they treated the SU7 Hotfix Flighting/Beta, with a post in Community->Announcements, a specific form section with subsections for different categories of bug reports, and an announcement on Twitter saying that the Flighting/Beta is live.

1 Like

They warn you it might be required, and is more likely to be required if you use the default install path. I have the sim installed on my D: drive and just opted out through Steam before the last official update.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.