How do you add FS2020 as a Windows 10 Startup App?

MS Store user:
I would like to add FS2020 as a Win 10 Startup app.

Per Win 10, it is not possible.

1. 1

Select the Start Windows logo Start button button and scroll to find the app you want to run at startup.

1. 2

Right-click the app, select More, and then select Open file location. This opens the location where the shortcut to the app is saved. If there isn’t an option for Open file location, it means the app can’t run at startup.

FS2020 does not have the option for “open file location”
Anyone know how to do it?

Thanks.,

Pin it to your task bar and you’ll have it with one-click access. Besides, I like to let Windows finish booting all the background stuff before I start launching high-resource apps. On this rig, that’s about 30 seconds. On my craptop, it’s another 2-3 minutes…

I have it on my Taskbar. And click it there.

But, there are many times when I am browsing this Forum
that I need to check FS2020 to be sure my response/reply
is correct. So, I click the icon on the Taskbar and
have to wait 4 minutes for FS2020 to load and go to what I want to check.

I would prefer to have FS2020 running. And always running.

With 64 GB it does not matter if it is running.

It will actually drive up your electric bill. All that heat being pumped out by the fans doesn’t come from nothing. One of my coworkers had a crypto-miner running 24/7 and he said it costs him over $100/month in electricity just to keep it going.

Plus, all that heat will fatigue the processors and shorten their lifespan.

1 Like

I’m not mining.

TtHIS IS NOT A SOLUTION!

This reply does not address the Topic at all.

This should work for you.

1. Create a new shortcut on your desktop, right-clicking on the desktop.

2. When it prompts for a location, enter:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

Then give it a name and save the shortcut.

1. Depress simultaneously the Windows key and the R key.

2. Enter - shell:startup

3. Copy your new shortcut to the startup.

You should now be good to go.

If you’re interested, you can also modify that location string above by adding a space -fastlaunch after “app”. It might shave off a few seconds from the normal startup, by eliminating some of the developer splash screens. I haven’t confirmed this, but it might intermittently interfere with Windows Store MSFS ownership information. It happened to me once. Just a heads up!

It should look like this:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -fastlaunch

Don’t want to do this, then.

Sorry if I might have confused you. The normal automatic startup WITHOUT the -fastlaunch option does NOT interfere with any ownership information.

Thank you very much.

It works perfectly.

I am checking my mail and checking this Forum while FS2020 is loading.

No, but it does respond to this:

“With 64 GB it does not matter if it is running.”

Pushing those ones and zeros around comes at a cost. That’s why gaming 'puters have to have heavy duty power supplies. It’s not even computer science at work. It’s basic Ohm’s Law. More load means more current. More current means a higher bill every month.

I suspect a lot of crypto mining is actually done illegally using peoples employers electricity :smiley:

Accepted, but I hardly ever power up my PC and not load FS2020.

And when I do load it, I never Close it.

It runs until I power down the PC.

:: start MSFS 2020

:: STEAM installation: uncomment this line
:: start steam://rungameid/1250410

:: MS Store installation start MSFS, with or without -FastLaunch
cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch
::cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

1 Like

That might be hard to do. The rigs are noisy and generate a LOT of heat. The one my coworker showed me has six GPUs running at max capacity 24/7. He uses it as a space heater in the winter!

I am embarrassed to say that I don’t even have a clue about what crypto mining is! Have been watching a series on Netflix, “Startup” about cryptocurrencies that seems like it might be related but who knows? Am I in the ballpark?

I think we are a tad off topic, now! Can hardly wait until the 25th!

It’s using computer hardware in a custom built setup to do the work for you - usually built with multiple graphics cards. This is part of why there’s such a shortage, and why GPU makers hate miners. As for how it all works, I’m not all that certain myself, but I did find this:

Yeah, it did kinda take a left turn…

There are about half a dozen Titan X sitting on a shelf about 10 feet away from where I am sitting.

It is a long story but basically the genetics project that used them finished and the server they were in had a 1500 Watt power supply to cope with them (the original 1200 W kept shutting down) and that meant the UPS it was on needed to be 1.5KVA bigger just in case they actually got fired up. So we decommissioned it.

The boss keeps joking we should set them up as mining cards.

This thread is now seriously off topic though.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the clarification, guys.
I especially liked the partial connection to the GPU shortage.
I guess it isn’t all on us simmers/gamers, right?

:wink: