How do you think AI will be used in Flight Simulator 2024?

With Microsoft being a leader in AI (by partnering with Open-AI), how do you think AI will be used in MSFS 2024? There are so many areas it can potentially be used. Let’s have some of your ideas and wishes!

Generative AI for weather simulation could be one area where I can imagine that OpenAI could contribute, especially since they already work on weather forecasting.

Another obvious would be ATC.

Beyond this, there are many opportunities and aspects of the sim that could benefit.

I think all they have confirmed is:

1. Detecting Photogrammetry foliage / trees and flattening them, then replacing with actual models (will look better).

2. Detecting more vertical rock faces / cliffs and replacing with generated rocks to cover the stretched textures (will look better).

3. Not really AI, but procedural fake Photogrammetry across a lot of countryside to lift out details in 3D (not really sure how that will look! Hopefully better lol).

4. I think 3rd parties are also going to contribute in this field not least with BeyondATC. Would not expect anything more from MSobo though!

7 Likes

There are still so many unresolved problems, at least some of which they have warned us will not be fixed by the start of FS2024, I don’t think it wise for Asobo to be distracted into a totally new area for them, with all the new bugs that will bring.

Third parties, yes.

Asobo, please no.

2 Likes

Microsoft Fs2024 will use and currently used in real world and in software called : Cognitive Services
https://news.microsoft.com/cognitive/

I’m sure it will use it. Do you have a source for this info?

I’m interested to see the evolution of Blackshark in FS2024. It would be nice if the AI generated buildings were a bit more realistic. No more tower blocks out in the middle of the countryside where a farm building should be.

I also wonder if they’ll use AI to help get rid of issues like the green roads that plague the sim.

I’m really curious about how thats going to look. You get a little glimpse of it in the trailer. If the whole world is going to look that good then the sim will look amazing.

I hope it will do my work to safe me time for flying.

2 Likes

My AI Wishlist:

• Improved AI traffic behavior

• Improved Co pilot Aircraft handling

• Better ATC performance

3 Likes

Msfs conference, was stated Bing/Azure/ and newer added Cognitive Service on picture.

I’m with you! BeyondATC is already showing what a 3rd party can do and the injected AI with next to no performance cost seems impossible, but they’re doing it.

If a 3rd party can do this, MS definitely can!

1 Like

A AI Copilot you can talk with would be nice, ask him questions about procedures or the plane you fly , let him read checklists, ask him to talk to the ATC . It would feel so much more alive.

4 Likes

Would be nice if that could work offline. It would be tough though…

Zero chance of that I’m afraid!

Yeah, spoke to chat gpt. It mentioned lots of adaptability would be required to make it work…

I doubt that GenAI would be used because every query will cost money. Imagine what happens when this is used by many users. Whom will they charge this ? We pay for the base game and then any type of usages of GenAI will cost money on top of what we pay. I am not sure if this is a profitable marketing option. I’m sure, they’ll use AI in a way to make the MSFS better but GenAI I’m not sure.

I’d like them to leverage generative ai to fill in gaps in satellite imagery and remove clouds colour correct etc. Just create a more consistent world. It’s ideally suited given it can look at surrounding imagery, and land usage maps to get an idea of what to generate.

1 Like

Me too. Aren’t they doing this in Bing already? Just port it to the sim.

Let the player use flight planner to create
flights for the planes you already have.

It would be the things AI is good at. Filling in poor imagery/photogrammetry or probably ATC where it’s dealing with language. Don’t expect AI to improve any kind of piloting or routing and stuff like that.

I could see them providing a free AI ATC using a stripped down model. You don’t need a large context window for ATC but it would probably be based on the full language model anyway since that usually gets the best result even if you are dealing with a narrow domain like ATC/pilot responses. So that could make each call significantly cheaper. And MSFS is known to get good deals with technology partners like OpenAI Azure or Bing. This would only be generating the text, we would still have the normal text-to-speech engine.