How do YOU use the sim?

I prefer GA, because the SIM is too beautiful to fly on 30.000 feet. The North - Iceland, Norway, Alaska. The South - Greece, Cyclades and Ionian Sea, Italy - Tuscany. US - Washington, Florida and of course Bush Flying at all in special Patagonia. Last but not least, I love Snow, Snow, Snow :slight_smile:

Doesn’t matter what you prefer. FS2020 is a beauty.

6 Likes

I believe that this was the place were i took of for my first flight ever, Meigs nostalgic place, sad to see it in the mud. But good fun

2 Likes

20 years ago I worked for an American company based in Chicargo. They had their own airplane fleet, among other an Kingair 350, and once we were diverted to Meigs to land and to me this was absolutely mindblowing to land in Meigs for real, having been simming FS for a long time. Took some pictures but lost them.

3 Likes

There is a free add on to bring it back:https://flightsim.to/file/834/merril-c-meigs-field-kcgx

3 Likes

World exploration preferably to distant less visited airports, testing different aircraft (i fly everything), longhauls and random touch and go near where i live. I’ve also done a round the planet flight that took roughly 28 hours, which i don’t think I’ll do again.

Basically I’m looking for challenges and not to simulate regular commutes from A to B, have been flying sims since childhood, but took a long break from 2011 to 2018 when VR started to be supported more.

2 Likes

I’m on a flying around the world trip VFR-ish. I’m using the TBM and definitely not going very direct! I’m touring around places as I go, seeing the sites and generally making sure it is fun rather than a chore. I started in Edinburgh (my home town) and have headed North and West, via Iceland, then Greenland, over to Canada, down to the Great Lakes, across to New York, down the East Coast of the US, Florida, Cuba and the Carribean and now into South America. At the moment I’m following the Amazon from it’s source high in the Peruvian Andes all the way to the Altantic. So it’s going to be a long process!

Capturing hundreds of screenshots on the way and recording it all on my blog thread:

I’ve not been too “purist” about this. So not worrying too much about fuel and needing to be able to refuel at all destinations and/or taxi to gates etc. As some of the bugs get ironed out with some of this I might improve that. I’ve been learning a bit about IFR flying too and have tried a few ILS landings and even letting the AP land the plane! For me it is most important that this is a fun ride rather than over doing the realism.

So far it’s great fun. Flying over places I will never travel to in real life. Yes, I know I could do this all through Google Earth or whatever, but that’s nothing like as much fun!

Looking forward to the Japan update tomorrow - especially as I’ve not got there yet. Here is my progress so far…

5 Likes

I have been using flight simulations since the 80’s and think I have flown an airliner only twice. Exclusively a GA simmering and enjoy flying planes I have been in as a passenger or student pilot.

In FSX loved flying the A2A cub, as well as their 172. In the 172, used it to relieve many of my RL flight lessons and practice steep turns, slow flight, shooting patterns and the such. Mostly because the scenery in other flight sims was sort of underwhelming out of the box.

Once OrbxSystems started to provide True Earth regions, started my world exploration tours which I have reinstated in MSFS2020. Visiting the different cities, states and countries I have lived and/or was stationed or worked in my 22 year military career and my 25 (and still counting) year consulting career that have taken me all over the world.

Yes it is entertainment, I do like high fidelity in the systems and proper flight characteristics and reasonable weather with realistic ATC. However, I don’t throw my toys out of the pram if it isn’t 100% perfect since life is way too short to get upset over minor nuances.

5 Likes

Yes! Exactly that.

2 Likes

For the last 2 weeks, I’ve been flying the Longitude or TBM (mostly Longitude) doing IFR flights of 60-90 minutes. Really focusing on flight plan and ILS management and trying to get comfortable with the systems and performance of the jet. Almost all of my flights have been US based and using different size airports to learn the jets takeoff and landing limits. Always trying to focus on speed management after takeoff to stay within FAA max speed under FL10k, and managing speed on approach and making smooth landings. I’ve been fortunate that my system runs the sim on Ultra settings and haven’t really had any of the performance issues others have suffered, so my frustration issues so far have all been self inflicted.

2 Likes

FSX I used everything, double engine props, Learjet, CRJ, airliners, small GA, taildraggers, etc. This sim so far I am sticking mostly with single engine GA aircraft and flying VFR and marginal. Until autopilots and avionics are fixed, IFR, ATC, AI Aircraft, and airliners, etc. - I will continue to fly GA. One day when this is fixed, optimized, and I increase my hardware I will be back flying commercial airliners on 2-3 hour flights IFR. I like to fly familiar places and sometimes visit new places. I fly short hops mostly but as a real-world pilot I’d like to get back into VATSIM or PilotsEdge/Pilot2ATC or one of those add-ons where you can use voice recognition to talk to ATC with real world chatter in the background for immersion. I currently use TrackIR until VR is implemented.

2 Likes

I use the sim to practice various departures and approaches into airports that I will be flying to for the first time.

Trying to find a good procedure that helps reduce the workload.

3 Likes

The add on is really good by the way. Some tiny “rectangular” textures in the water if you catch the wrong angle, but otherwise great

2 Likes

I fly GA as realistic as possible, started by practicing circuits etc.
Now I use OnAir, its a great way to see places you wouldn’t normally think about and pushes your limits, Yesterday for example I had a long cargo run to do, Kracow to Instanbul, got to see the night fall over some gorgeous mountains in Romania, ran out of daylight so the next leg into Greece was pitch black though a thunderstorm, very challenging but great fun. It all makes so much more sense in MFS than in Xplane for example, purely down to the amazing scenery you can stumble across.

2 Likes

I bought 3 months of OnAir Airline Manager after a positive experience in the trail version. I have really been enjoying it and there is much to learn. Luckily since you start with Cessnas and work your way up to bigger planes I have progressed to any broken planes in the sim yet. I have been playing for about a month and just bought my first King Air. The program is new so there aren’t a lot of tutorials that explain the nitty gritty but it gives you purpose when flying. It also works in conjunction with the sim and VATSIM. Between all three you feel like a real life cargo pilot.

2 Likes

Sounds like you are at a similar point to me, I just purchased my grand caravan last week, was a bit ratty with 20k hours on the clock and needed collecting from France but she was Cheap!

I played with VATSIM a couple of years back on Xplane, never really got into it, but working it in conjunction is a great idea, maybe ill have a look into it.

I also agree there is a lot of learning by your mistakes, I thought it looked easy to rent an airliner and pilot to do a job with a massive payoff, didnt realise they wanted 1,800,000 deposit on the thing!

Also didnt realise about ratings and found myself trying to do my Turboprop rating from a very short gravel airstrip, managed it though (sort of)

2 Likes

VATSIM is better than ever in my opinion for this sim. The east coast is constantly on, even into the early hours. Also you don’t need FSUIP or whatever those programs where that interfaced with the sim. Just use Vpilot and it cuts down on open programs. Last night I was trying to figure stuff out for so long on both OnAir and my new KingAir that I never left the ground lol.

3 Likes

I’d put my self in the Casual Simmer category. Historically, I’ve flew FSX and P3D, mostly in tubeliners (PMDG 73x/74x/77x, FSLabs A32x, etc.) I never used VATSIM because I want to fly A to B at my own pace. (i.e. autopilot and put on a movie for inflight entertainment at FL360) Even with that statement though, I do take the time to read the manuals on procedures and aircraft specs and manuals of each plane I fly. Tldr: Casual in some ways and simmer in other ways.

With MSFS, I am waiting on proper study level aircrafts like everyone else. Unlike P3D, i don’t see myself having to buy a ton of sceneries anymore although they do look nice and are tempting; it’s a habit from P3D. I also started FSEconomy (got my account set up before the big rush/crash) so I’ve been doing a lot of GA flying. My most used planes at the moment (in order) have been TBM, 172, and CJ4. I few the A320 and 787 once each and said, I’ll wait for the payware and/or the community add-on (great job to Flybywiresim and other contributors, keep it up and make it known that payware companies got competition now!)

I’d also like to take this moment to say keep up the great work you are doing Asobo. I know there are a lot of criticisms out there at the moment but you guys are doing what I think a good job to fix the issues at hand. I am looking forward to all the future development you guys will be doing and am hoping this sim will last even longer than FSX did (until the matrix becomes IRL or something).

Thanks for reading and have a fantastic day/week/month/year !

3 Likes

I like the flight planning and execution aspect. I’ve developed a little role playing theme that I’ve stuck to since leaving alpha/beta:

I first did all the training flights in the area of KSEZ, then flew the 152 to Vegas where I’m currently living. Then I had the idea to fly across the country ‘in the same aircraft’ to the northeast where I grew up.

Each flight was planned and flown as I would in real life (VFR/IFR) only going for about 2 hours each leg because IRL I would probably want to pee outside the confines of a Gatorade bottle. I’ll land at an airport, then my next flight will always start at that airport I just landed at. If I want to go somewhere, gotta physically get my sim plane to it! This was really engaging with the 152 due to the lack of an autopilot and having to tune and fly VORs entirely by hand.

I set my first major destination was the airport I got my first flying lessons and switched to the 172, which was the airframe I first learned on. I’ve been flying the 172 around the northeast now, just flying into and out of airports near stuff I’ve visited our wanted to see.

My next goal is to travel the length of I95 down to Miami, then head back west, probably upgrading to the Bonanza when I get back to Vegas.

So far the Hobbs on the 152 is in the neighborhood of 26 hours, and almost 10 now on the 172. Curious to see what the profile page unlocks when I hit 50 flight hours.

One thing I don’t attempt to use is realistic ATC like VATSIM. I don’t want to sit at my computer talking to other people and doing everything 100% by the book. Plus it’s the only time I’d get to fly while consuming adult beverages.

2 Likes

Basically airlining and a bit GA’ing for sightseeing.

Trying to follow real-world connections and have matching liveries for the flight. Trying to follow all the procedures (A32nx comes in reeeeally handy).

And then there’s always that one guy attempting to land on the tailwind runway when I’m spooling up my engines. Probably switching back to IVAO because of that. Downside of virtual networks is lack of general traffic imo.

1 Like

Flying GA out of KGAS to KCRW and KHTS and back and forth using manual cache for scenery. Looking to getting into scenery editing as the bridges are inaccurate, but not complaining. This is the FIRST sim that I can accurately fly VFR and know what the hell I’m doing lol. Point Pleasant Wv is my hometown and I love seeing a mostly accurate representation of land features… now I wonder, will the Mothman pay a visit during a midnight flight? :thinking:

1 Like