How get pop out window back

After testing with multiple monitor setups the pop out windows of the MFD (with right-alt click on the MFD) is located on some monitor that doesn’t exist anymore, so I am unable to reposition this pop out.

Is there a way to reset this location ? I found a youtube video telling how to fix a problem like this with the standard popouts (like map and navlog etc) but this fix doesn’t work for the MFD/PFD/GPD popout screens you make with right alt.

Or does someone know where the popout windows data (position etc) is located so I can change it.

Known bug :frowning:
Possible fix > https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409228619538-How-to-delete-a-cloud-save-on-PC-to-fix-some-loading-issues-or-reset-the-logbook

1 Like

Thanks. I have the steam version, so couldn’t find it. So I searched for something like that on Steam and found the file that holds the coordinates of the MFD and PFD. I tried editing it with notepad, but that corrupts the file (and a new one is created after startup). After that the locations of the windows is reset and are visible again.

I will try editing is with a hex editor and post the location of the file later.

1 Like

Make a backup of profile_00 before editing, just in case.

For Steam edition users :
The location (on my machine) to the profile file is
C:\Windows\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\123456789\1234567\remote
The numbers will be different on other computers, so I typed 1234 etc.
The name of the profile file is profile_00

Editing with a hex editor (I used winhex) didnt’t work. I changed 3840 to 1000 as the X position of the window but it still corrupts the file and a new one is created.

I will make a bug report if it isn’t there yet.

1 Like

GJ mate :1st_place_medal:

I keep having the problem of my popped out PFD disappearing from my attached tablet (running splashtop xDisplay). In the past disconnecting it and then reconnecting has fixed the problem, but that doesn’t seem to be working now.

Is there a way to reset the PFD position using simvars, which I would think is what the popout manager does? Can I just create a binding in FSUIPC to move it to 0,0 (which I assume will be the upper left corner of the main display?)

I don’t want to delete my logbook because Asobo’s popout handling is broken.

1 Like

Well, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I realized that Popout Manager probably doesn’t need to see the windows to detect them. So I added the PFD and then used the Manager to pop it out, and it showed the missing PFD’s coordinates in it’s UI.

Setting it’s XPOS back to 0 from whatever strange value was in there got it back onto my main display, after which I could drag it back to the wired tablet and resize it normally.

Intererstingly, MultiMonitorTool sees the “Panel2 (Custom)” window for the MFD correctly on the display it’s shown on, but it doesn’t see the “Panel1 (Custom)” window for the PFD on the Splashtop Wired xDisplay, as it is. It shows it as still on my main display, though it very definitely isn’t.

If anything I would think it would be the other way around, as the MFD is on a fake-display created using the open-source Indirect Display Driver and shown via VNC, and the PFD is on the USB-connected tablet using the better-supported LuminonCore IDDCX driver.

I suspect what happened is that I re-arranged the relative positions of the displays in Windows while not in the cockpit. And stored positions of the popped out PFD and MFDs were relative to the main window anchor, and so sensitive to the Windows display arrangement. The sim happily pops them out to a relative X,Y location at which there is no longer a display–even though that same display is still connected.

If that’s the problem, theoretically solution is to close all popouts before re-arranging the secondary displays they are on. The problem is that would include all aircraft for which there is save popout position state.

Not sure whose bug this is, but these two tools together should help avoiding the need to reset your profile and/or cloud-save.

You can also try moving your connected displays around in the Windows “re-arrange” to see if you can ‘capture’ the popouts again, but it’s simple enough to reset their position after Popout Manger detects the window, wherever it is.

2 Likes

This worked for me. I moved a third display around hitting apply each time I moved it using the windows display manager until I found it. Repositioned the errant window, moved the display to where I wanted it and then moved the pop out to the window. What a pain!

Lost my popouts after switching monitors around. Can’t seem to get them back.

But I’m sure it’ll be fixed in 2024.

This multimonitor tool works like a charm. Now I can find the hidden FMC pop out and I can put it on my physical FMC Display. Thanks for the tip!

Hi everyone. After my own personal struggle with this topic I am gonna comment with a hopeful solution for this issue.

Problem: I sometimes use an extra screen for my popouts, but when that screen is not connected I lost my popouts and could not find them anymore. I could see a white flash in the avionics that I popped out indicating that it was working, but nowhere could I find the screen.

My solution:
I know this is gonna sound crazy and it is so counter intuitive but confirmed by more people that it does work also for them. I could also reproduce this issue and solution so it seems to work every time.

• First I start my FS2020 in windowed mode
  • I just start in the airplane that has the avionics with the problems (e.g. Asobo C172 G1000)
  • I click RALT + left mouse on the PFD and MFD
  • normally you should get a white flash in the virtual cockpit that indicates the window popped out
  • I then go into the windows 11 display settings (desktop settings I mean, not the settings in FS2020)
  • I place my display in portrait instead of landscape (this makes it rotate 90 degrees)
  • Don’t ask me why but somewhere you should come accross your popout screens now. Sometimes they are minimized in the left bottom corner of the simulator window so make sure to check that.
  • Now the struggle starts because of course your mouse is completely counter intuitive now but no worries, take your time for this. Don’t rush into it.
  • Now drag your PFD and MFD popout to the visual center of the display
  • Very important KEEP THEM OPEN
  • Put your display back in landscape (in Windows 11 settings again)
  • Now you should be able to reposition your popouts to where you want them but carefull, still KEEP THEM OPEN
  • Once they are in a satisfying position comes a very crucial step. Nobody seems to be able to answer this but it seems that state saving of those popouts happens in this step following step
  • With your popouts still open and in desired location. Go to the main screen of the simulator. I think it is with the escape / return to main menu command.
    You will see the simulatior going back to the main dashboard and closing down the popouts all on its own.
  • Now quit to desktop with the menu command. DO NOT use the red X, do it the proper way.
  • Just restart your sim and restart your flight with the same aircraft
  • If you now RALT + left mouse click on the PFD and MFD avionics you should see them where you left off
  • If not, now is the moment you can start crying hahaha.

Recap, it seems that you have to leave the sim with your popouts OPEN where you next time want them to reappaer. Going to the main dashboard seems to trigger the state saving of ANY popout of ANY plane.

Good luck.
Let us know how it went for you personally.
Besides, you now learned that you shouldn’t take anything for granted, like a mouse that works in the direction you are use to hahahha.
Cheers.

2 Likes

Hello moonlander85 thank you very much, your post got me out of a situation that seemed inextricable, and I was heading towards a complete reinstallation of MSFS. Thank you and good day. (Sorry for my English)

1 Like

Another solution is to use a tool called MultiMonitorTool (free). When you start it lists all open windows per monitor, including “PFD” and “MFD”. Right click on those and select “Move to next monitor” or “Move to primary monitor”.

You are very much welcome. I hope it helps many others. There are other options like described below but in some cases they just don’t work. I just couldn’t get any of the tools at work in my case but the main thing I learned is the point where FS2020 state saves those popouts. Only when going to the main menu with the popouts open. And I just didn’t know that crucial part. Once you know that it does not happen anymore in the future.
Anyway, enjoy your evening everyone. See you in the sky.

1 Like

Thanks for that tip. You rescued me!