How many community folders?

I am totally confused about Community folders and having lots of problems with them (I get the error message "your organization does not allow this file/folder to be installed here when trying to move and remove files). My question here is how many community folders should I have. My MSFS is installed on Y: drive. In searching my entire computer. I found four folders named Community located at:

C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge.Stable_(gobbledygook)\LocalCache\Packages\Community - this one appears to contain most of my addons

C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_(gobbledygook)\Packages\Community - this one contains only the bryce canyon addon

Y:\WpSystem(different gobbledygook)\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_(gobbledygook)\LocalCache\Packages\Community - this on appears to contain most of my addons

Y:\Program Files (X86)\Community - this one only contains 6 Orbx addons and the PMDG dc6 addon)

Is this normal or is my install all screwed up?

It’s all screwed up. One folder. That’s it.

1 Like

Hokey smokes… L, M, N, O, P…

Should only be one Community per install.

For the Windows Store install:

C:\Users[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages
(or your install drive letter)

For the Steam install:

C:\Users[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages
(or your install drive letter)

I’m going to say the edge folder is completely wrong.

The long directory on your Y drive “should” be correct. The Packages folder that the Community folder sits in should have another folder labeled “Official” with all of your default Asobo aircraft in it. That’s one way to know you have the correct community folder.

Thanks. This really helps. I’ve figured out the correct one is

Y:\Program Files (X86)\Community

All this while I’ve been placing downloaded addons in the wrong folder. (That’s why so many of them weren’t working :confounded: :roll_eyes:

So I’m guessing I can delete all of the others?

Yes you can. MSFS has no idea they exist.

Get MSFS Addons Linker. Then you can organise your addon files however you like, with separate folders and sub-folders for aircraft, scenery etc. The program then puts your selected shortcuts in the MSFS community folder when you start the sim.
It’s an essential addon to have - makes life so much easier!

2 Likes

You can have as many as you like, but only one will be used, and that’s the one you pointed to on installation (and therefore whatever path is described in Usercfg.opt).

For example, My sim is on drive C, but my packages are on drive D. I still have the default packages folder on drive C, but it’s never used and remains empty.

The pathway to my Steam community folder is this: C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages

That’s mine as well,

Threw me for a loop as most documentation points to the AppData\Local folder. Must have changed at some point to Roaming.

That seems like a weird place to have the community folder (esp. since it is a system folder and is access controlled).

You can validate the current community folder being used by MSFS from the registry. Open the registry editor and go to this key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MSFSPATHS. There you’ll find the entry for the community path.

[Disclaimer: At your own risk. Please do not modify registry entries unless you understand the consequences.]

I don’t have a registry entry as you noted. In fact I searched my entire registry for “MSFSPATH” (I left of the “S” just incase it was a typo) and it didn’t find anything. And I’m not smart enough in all of this to have directed my community folder to that location so I don’t know why mine is different (I purchased MSFS from the Microsoft Store).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.