How many of you guys are real pilots?

As with most aircraft, once you get used to it, takeoff and landing in the 777 is quite easy.

During takeoff, the aircraft has a tendency to ‘pause’ during rotation. This happens at around 7°-8° pitch up, and requires an additional squeeze of back pressure on the controls to keep a constant rotation rate and continue towards 15°. There’s nothing difficult or challenging about it, just something you have to lean.

As for landing, again, it’s relatively straight forward. The flare is roughly a 2° pitch change at about 30-35ft, depending on weight/ground speed. The aircraft will float if you let it, and initially it is easy to over flare, or flare to early, but it doesn’t take long to have this figured out.

In crosswinds, the aircraft can actually land completely crabbed into the wind. Obviously though, this is not ideal for the landing gear, or passenger comfort, so the technique used is to flare normally, whilst maintaining the crab angle into wind, then as the flare is completed and you’re approaching the landing attitude, usually at about 10ft, you start to de-crab the aircraft. Anything up to 15kts crosswind, you’ll try and remove all the crab angle so to be tracking the runway centreline on touchdown. As the crosswind increases however, it’s ok to leave some crab on the aircraft at touchdown. With a max crosswind of 38kts, you’ll probably only remove half of the crab angle before the into wind main gear touches down, continuing to straighten before the nose gear touches down. Sounds complicated, but with practice it’s quite straightforward and repeatable.

As for which airline I work for, I’ll just say I’m based in Hong Kong.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

So you work for Cathay Pacific? And is it ok if u privet message me some more pics from the skies?

I got my PPL SEL in '98 flying Pipers. Never could afford an IFR ticket but recived a complex endorsement for Piper Arrows. Unfortunately I lost my medical a few years back so I am restricted to either renting the left seat with an instructor, (very expensive) or flying right seat with a pilot friend who is a retired 787 FO and previously F-16s in the AF. He is part owner of a Piper Arrow so I get a chance to fly with him from time to time. Cant fly left seat with him due to insurance rules but a few months ago we did a X country flight from Florida to Texas and back which provided me an opportunity to get some actual IMC hours. We have also made flights to WV and Tennesee in the Arrow. Great fun and we are considering additional X country flights this year.
He is even considering a flight from Florida to Seattle, but we will see.

1 Like

Commercial SEL, MEL, Instrument with high perfrmace and complex endorsements. Roughly 2800 hrs TT.

Previously worked/flew as a contract pilot for an air survey outfit out of Florida for about 8 years. Coincidentally, we actually flew a lot of survey missions collecting terabytes of imagery for Microsoft/Bing Maps throughout the US and Canada…all in modified (STC) C172 Classics (M-SP). A couple of us got a G1000 172S as well.

1 Like

Retired.
ATP, CFI, CFII, FE, A&P
Now I only “fly” in simulator games like MSFS and DCS etc., using VR.

1 Like

Former military pilot from Portugal. 3500 Hrs total time, flown both airplanes and helicopters, mostly search and rescue and medical emergency helicopters in the worst possible weather in the Azores and North Atlantic. Used FS2000 for my flight training 20 years ago, then didn’t use the flight sim until now. Amazed at how good the Sim has become, but it was very useful in 2001/2 for my IFR training.

3 Likes

Been flying since 1989. Currently hold an ATP with type ratings in the CL-65 (Bombardier RJ Series) and the B737NG. Flying professionally for a large US Airline.

I am a real pilot was over 5000 hours logged in various aircraft in the last 10 years. I love every minute of it.

I bet they even allow aviators in here.

Oooh you probably flew me on my commute then, I ran a project with CX for 3 years and flew LHR or FRA to HKG and back on 777s about every second week for 3 years!

And probably we met a couple of times at the headland bar :grinning:

1 Like

Commercial pilot here with frozen ATPL, IR, multi-engine, and aerobatic and tailwheel experience. I worked as a bush pilot in East Africa when I was young and stupid.

MSFS 2020 in VR brings back so many memories. But I am frustrated at things like flaps not producing enough drag, piston engine response too slow, and no discernible braking effect when you put props into fine pitch on approach (at idle power when transitioning from cruise to descent for landing I recall a pronounced braking effect when you selected fully fine pitch, cause by increased drag from the propellor disc.)

1 Like

I have a PPL and hoping to get my IFR rating soon. My dream is to find the right Cherokee 6-300 to own.

1 Like

To answer your question based on the Navigraph 2022 survey results: about 27%

2 Likes

I’d caution that there’s a lot of sampling bias involved in that particular poll (through no fault of Navigraph). My guess is that certificated pilots comprise far less of the entire population of MSFS users than that indicates.

PPL here :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s indeed a fair assumption. Although the survey links is widely shared over an abundance of various sites, one could argue that the more casual players won’t take the time to take the survey or just never bump into it.

However, it is at least some sort of indication and the closest thing to real data we have :slight_smile:

(PPL MEP here)

2 Likes

Yes, but sadly no longer.

Private pilot since 2000

ASEL/commercial and Part 107

I have a private cert for single engine, and own a Cessna 152, here are some GoPros of my adventures

2 Likes