How many people really are finding FS2020 unplayable now after all the updates?

Often the way with tech companies. Look at Apple, and its battery fiasco(s). Deny, deny, deny. They lose the PR battle, then cave in to battery replacements.

1 Like

Why would MS use Amazon when they run Azure?

I assume MS sees how many people are playing MSFS so they can tell if people stopped playing the sim. Do you think that might influence how they perceive the issue?

At this point I have stopped using the game thereā€™s just too much wrong with it. The more they try to fix it the worse it gets. They have too much on their plate to fix.

2 Likes

I can play the game, but it is not enjoyable for me.

Game fineā€¦occasional low FPSā€¦nothing unplayable.

It all depends on where you fly. I had zero issues over North-East China to Vladivostok Russia. Butter smooth (terrain looks like ā– ā– ā– ā–  though) at terrain detail 200.

Last night I was over Japan, terrible area dependent stutters and had to restart a couple times when memory use went rogue again (from the ā€˜normalā€™ around 20GB allocated to well over 30GB for no reason) at terrain detail 100. I can still land at 2 fps under heavy stuttering, itā€™s all gentle inputs anyway. But you do have to make sure key presses actually register, gear, flaps, ap commands are often ignored under low fps. Not unplayable, not really enjoyable either.

After a restart itā€™s usually fine again. I guess hitting one of those bad areas can result in two things, either it recovers after or it messes something up so that the sim starts falling behind cleaning up after itself and slowly grinds to a halt while allocating more and more memory to compensate.

Before SU3 I was playing at terrain detail 200 without issues (now when I try that it grinds to a halt after a while) with on avg 50% higher fps. The memory gone rogue bug did also happen before SU3, yet far less often. Not 3 times in a night. I enjoyed it more before SU3.

no problems at all.

Fresh reinstall, finished took 23.5 hours (really) but anyway I reboot started the sim started flying and wow it looked better fps was a little low but still, 10 min stutters of death.

Give up and go ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  on the forums a bit more ;p Then before I goto bed I decide one more flight to benchmark against todays patch. I also notice that icue and steelseries software is running again, kill those start the sim and lo and behold same as before, except after 10 min still smooth, 20, 60, 120 wow still running strong.

What I saw was when the icue and ss software was running the cpu usage was at 90% or better most of the time, once I killed those two programs, it leveled out to 60% and stayed there. So Im gonna have to say on top of all else there is some sort of interaction between those type of programs and the FS that is still causing issuesā€¦

I play the MSFS forum more then the actual game lately, no stutters or CTD. :grinning: No idea why itā€™s slow and stuttering when I show 20-30% CPU usage and plenty of free memory.

Presumably because they are renting compute power?

Thatā€™s what the WHOIS of the connections I see created by Flightsim2020ā€™s .exe when viewed in resource manager.

I also see connections to what must be the local eu server presence in Netherlands.

Itā€™s an absolute dream to play, locked at half refresh rate (37fps) pretty much all Ultra settingsā€¦ visually spectacular and butter smoothā€¦ Right up until the random stutter periods kick in, lasting from only a few seconds up to 3mins. Even if it only drops to say 30FPS its still a horror show of stutters. ā€‹I actually hit 0 FPS over Tunbridge Wells todayā€¦ was just waiting for the CTD but it eventually recovered.

What makes it so frustrating is the random nature of the stutters. I flew over the Orbx Sydney cityscape + Fly Tampa YSSY yesterday, no stutters, FPS over 30 at all times 95% at my locked 37 FPS. Then flew in a middle of nowhere region of Colorado and had several periods of massive stutterfests.

100+mods or none, online or offline, ultra settings or everything on minimumā€¦makes no difference.

Itā€™s a weird one for sure. Itā€™s as if the cpu just stops sending any instructions to the GPU. Not getting any CPU cores maxing out like some others, but the GPU just drops to virtually no usage for a while. Never seen anything like it in 40 years of gaming.

Unplayable? No. My trip up the Nile has so far been a problem free joy to fly. Probably 5 hours or so of flight time so far. Iā€™ve given up on the UK though, which is really what i want to do. Itā€™s spectacular when it works but virtually every flight in the UK so far has the massive stutter periods. Gutting really as its smooth as silk 80% of the timeā€¦but nothing kills immersion like 2 mins of 10fps several times a trip.

B550 Aorus Elite v2
Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 2060 Super
32GB HyperX Fury 3200
WD Blue 1TB PCIE4 NVME + 2x Kingston 500GB SSD
Corsair RM650 PSU

1 Like

What are you talking about? Microsoft owns Azure. Why would they use AWS. They are direct competitors and have similar offerings.

1 Like

This confuses me as well. Take a look in Resource Manager while MSFS is running. It makes multiple connections to AWS servers for data. And a lot of IP addresses that show up there are also traceable back to AWS.

Thats what the games .exe is connecting to.
I noted the IP addresses and did WHOIS searches as well as trace routes.
Why would I even make something like this up?

As for reasons?

There could be a number of reasons. Microsoftā€™s own services are at capacity handling unexpected demand for this game whilst also handling unexpected demand for video meetings through its Teams service because many are still working remotely.

@BlueSkyPilot416, just as an FYI, Iā€™m having a great experience in VR with a G2, paired with an overclocked RTX2070 Super, and an overclocked i5-10600K. I have zero idea how those might compare with your AMD stuff. If they compare favorably, and the G2 itself is not a major financial burden for you, Iā€™d personally recommend moving ahead with your purchase, unless youā€™re one of the unlucky souls who got hit with the SU3 performance update problems. But if not, or when that gets fixed, go for it.

Just make sure you read and heed @CptLucky8ā€™s performance recommendations for the G2 elsewhere on this forum with regards to how to setup your settings and the like, and also make sure your version of OXR is the latest and greatest. Using that set on variable, Iā€™m able to get 100TAA in the sim in most geographies (but by no means all, I do have to back it off from time to time to 90, like I did tooling around downtown chi-town in the Extra using the payware Chicago scenery pack yesterday), and overall find the performance to be just fine, even when I do have to back it down to 90.

Anyway, I thought Iā€™d let you know about my experiences, since getting my G2, MSFS has been a whole new (and 1000x better) experience for me. Iā€™ll never fly in 2D again, unless my goal is to get some screenshots or shoot some video.

My $0.02 for freeā€¦

Hi KevyKevTPA,
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I am one of the unlucky ones right now. Iā€™m anxiously awaiting for this patch to see if my situation improves. Performance has been pretty unpredictable since the last update. All was fine until then. Iā€™m using an RT5700XT and from what Iā€™ve read is an acceptable card for the Reverb G2 with MSFS2020.

Fingerā€™s crossed!
Thanks!

Sim Update 3 broke my longitude. The displays donā€™t come on except for one. No add-onsā€¦no customizations. What a massive pain. I guess Iā€™m stuck waiting until Summer just so I can fly my plane.

@BlueSkyPilot416, well, it appears that the patch just hit, so give it a shot and see if it helps with your problem. Iā€™d be interesting in hearing back what your results are.

Not home now. Will be back in 2 hrs.
Thnx