How Realistic is VR

It annoys me when I look at my watch and my arm isn’t there. I literally forget I’m in VR it’s so immersive to me. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I will get one when its in stock.VR would be also great attached to something that has motion.Only thing I see in stock in some places is the RIFT S.I think its worth going for the G2 once the Nvidia shortage is over.

1 Like

What’s the best headset currently in the market, guys ? I’m seriously considering getting one and plunge into the VR thing after reading through comments about the unprecedented immersion.

In VR it’s much, much easier to check in game VFR map or Navigation Log. I can simply drag those two open windows to one above my “knee” and the other on passenger’s seat. With much better situation awareness in VR, I can check them from time to time without that kind of fear of losing control when I checked them on a flat screen. So now bush and VFR flying becomes much easier and more enjoyable to me.

For more complex charts, I believe you can load them in virtual desktop and see them by switching to your VR dashboard or so. It’s not perfect but not much worse than you move your view from flat screen and read them.

2 Likes

Oculus Rift S is on sale, and Oculus Quest 2 is decent with a slightly better PC. They are good enough for lower budget.

1 Like

The Quest 2 is a great headset for the price but its a faff to set up and fine tune. There’s a lot of useful guides here though at least.

The Reverb G2 is a better headset, wider angle of view and higher resolution, but its almost twice the price of the Quest 2 and at the moment very difficult to get hold of.

There’s also the Oculus Rift S, which is cheaper but its an older headset now and I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy one with the Quest 2 being so readily available.

My advice. Go for the Quest 2. At least you’ll be able to buy one straight away.

2 Likes

Quest 2 is also in back order now.

I set up my Google Nest so I can always ask “OK Google, what’s the time?” while playing VR.

1 Like

In Amazon you can order Oculus Quest 2 now but the delivery will be days later.

1 Like

Well, when I watched movies in Bigscreen cinemas in VR, I could grab a bag of virtual popcorns and started to hear chewing sounds when I moved that bag close to my mouth. I could actually taste some popcorn flavor then.

2 Likes

Is it because they’re delivering by canoe over there? :joy: (sorry can’t resist)

2 Likes

I just checked my order tracking. It’s already shipped (I ordered on Jan. 2 but was told to expect a Jan. 13 delivery) so it’s not that bad.

Once receive that, I will compare its MSFS VR performance with my earlier purchased Oculus Rift S. When I bought Oculus Rift S, Amazon was out of stock for Quest 2 and Oculus site back ordered to February.

1 Like

I think pedals a must if you going to be trying real flying, but I’ve read a trackball mouse strapped to a knee is useful.

Maybe I’m in the minority but while VR is a blast and fairly immersive, its not even on the level of actually flying. Being a good VR pilot makes you a good VR video game pilot.

I believe in simulators for IFR procedural training. However that’s a bit challenging to do in VR.

1 Like

And how about HP Reverb G2 ? People increasingly more frequently talk highly of this headset, too.

It’s not only about immersion though, it is also about positional awareness, the ability to visually determine your altitude, being able to do things just like you would in the real world (like scanning for other aircraft or quickly glancing at the instruments during final). You’ll notice that landing in VR is way more easy than in 2D.

True, the biggest difference between PC simulation and real flight will always be the feeling, but you’ll notice that the leap from 2D to VR is the biggest one the flight simulation world has ever had. I highly recommend the Quest 2 though, hopefully most VR bugs/issues will be ironed out when you get one so you can experience VR as it was meant.

2 Likes

Landing a plane in VR is much, much easier. You’re much more aware of the height of the plane off the ground and the angle at which you’re approaching. Your spatial awareness is just so much more improved.

3 Likes

If landing was indeed as tricky as on PC screens, I guess GA flying would have become a high-mortality-rate extreme adventure just like wingsuit flying.

1 Like

I haven’t tried VR in this sim yet but often when flying a real 172 without a passenger I would put my right hand on the passenger seat kind of as a prop. I found myself so immersed in VR with P3D that I did that and almost fell out of my chair! I am embarrassed to say it happened several times. :joy::+1:

3 Likes

Lets just say this, I can run 2d in 4k Ultra everything in an A320 over Manhattan smooth and stutter free, with track IR and a Studio quality headset. But I will never go back to flying 2d. Immersion is like no other. You installed this sim so you can feel the sensation of flying. With 2D, you see your plane fly. With VR you feel yourself flying.

10 Likes