How record video from FS2020 when you fly VR?

Hi!
How do you record video from FS2020 when you fly VR?

I know how to record video from Quest2 before starting the link, but there will be no sound (my voice) from the microphone. I have tested the program O.B.S. with Oculus Mirror but the video gets so choppy.

Is there any other program?

I use the recording function of my Nvidia Card. That gives me the two images (right and left eye). In post processing I crop the image to a 4:3 cut-out of the right eye‘s view. Not ideal, but at least I get very fluid video.

Only my jerky head movements are a bit hard on those who watch later, but during a challenging landing this seems to be unavoidable.

I still need to test the flight recorder on flightsim.to. Using that in parallel should give me enough material to produce a decent clip with various camera angels (VR being only one of many).

I use OBS to capture the sim sound + mic and part of the the right eye video… on a 4K screen it works out quite high quality when cropped to 16:9 and output set to HD (1920x1080) in the Studio settings.

Here is an example of me and my buddy doing some circuit training: https://youtu.be/LD3yKRJJCvc … early days in Pilot school for us.

Can you explain how you crop the image please?

Is it possible to record a takeoff from the ground view, while I am actually seeing the cockpit so I can fly the plane off the runway?

Sure.

I transfer the file to my iPad, which has basic video editing functions, like cropping.

On a Win10 PC I recommend DaVinci Resolve. For HD video it is free, and it‘s very powerful. As far as I know it supports video cropping.

I think you need two videos. One is the cockpit view during actual flight, the second one is taken with the flight recorder that can be found on flightsim.to

Flight recorder lets you choose any camera position during replay.

Then you need an editing program that can work with multiple cameras or video inputs, and you cut your sequences to your heart‘s delight :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ReimFarn084 - Ok, thank you! I did not know about that tool. I get the idea, the tool records the flight to a file and then it can be replayed and viewed from a different camera angle.

I suppose I would start recording just before applying thrust for takeoff, and stop recording as the airport recedes into the distance. Then maybe use the drone to watch the entire takeoff roll and flyaway! I’ll give it a try soon.

This video explains it really good at the 5-6 in mark… not my video, but I used it for inspiration.

1 Like

Hey there!

Thanks for the information. Finally I’ve managed to record at good quality in OBS. There’s no need to force my 1080p monitor into 4k resolution, just set the game into 4k and you get a 4k output from your desktop. Here are a couple of videos showing my results:

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.