How to change default SAVE/LOAD location?

Hi
I think the default location is : - c:\users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator
The save/load dialog does not remember your previous file location when it opens. It always opens to the same location.
I choose a different place where I keep my flight.plns
Can I edit a config file or something to change the default location?
Thanks

default flightplan folder for Store (unless you moved/installed the app to another drive already):
c:\Users<< user >>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

what you can do is a symbolic link, mklink /j, where you rename the origical ‘LocalState’ to f.i. ‘LocalState moved’,
then create a new ‘LocalState’ folder there
MKLINK /J Link Target

Link
Specifies the new symbolic link name
Target
Specifies the path (relative or absolute) that the new link will actually point to

(when “spaces” need “”)

2 Likes

Thanks
This is the address
C:\Users<>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator
shown in the Load/Save pop up dialog - (I changed my username to <> for privacy reasons)
I save all my flights on my external D:\ drive, the absolute address something like this:-
D:\Users<>\SavedFSFlights
Not sure how to apply your symbolic link.
Ultimately it would be good if MSFS2020 team can update the dialog to simply remember the user’s last location and open up there again next time

You could also create a shortcut to your SavedFSFlights folder, and move that shortcut into the default folder.

1 Like

create your folder
D:\Users\whatever\SavedFSFlights
(whatever)

be active in the default directory with a CMD window
xx:\etc etc \AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\ (where LocalState is)

dir /a
and you see “localstate”

rename
ren LocalState “LocalState mklinked to SavedFSFlights”
(or something and backup safety)

now use mklink CMD
mklink /j LocalState “D:\Users\whatever\SavedFSFlights”

you now have created a folder “localstate” (again) that really is a mklink that when you hit this, leads to the content of “D:\Users\whatever\SavedFSFlights”

1 Like

If creating a symbolic link is a bit too much work for you, simply pin your preferred folder to the side of the explorer window. Quick and easy access every single time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Magick
Thanks for your patience. Took me a while to understand what you meant. With this:-
cmdPrmpt
I will give it a go. Thanks

Kriebie
Cheers. That would work.

Lungho
Will have a look at the ingame save/load dialog to see if it is possible to do that.
Thanks

Yes, quick access is shown in the ingame save/load dialog.
Thanks kindly all, I have learnt a lot.

But still, I would like to submit a request to zendesk about this. Load/Save dialogs should honor the user’s choice of location.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.