How to change supersampling when using Quest 2/Virtual Desktop/Windows store gamepass

Hi!

So after some hours tweaking im able to get a semi-decent performance around a smooth 30 fps with not much stutters. For me its perfectly enjoyable. The only thing that still really bothers me is the lack of crispness of the image that im seeing in my headset. Especially the landscape is very blurry. It takes out a lot of fun for me.

So i want to upscale the resolution via supersampling, i know out of experience it can make a big difference on quest 2. But i did that with Sidequest/Oculus Link, and Oculus Link is giving me way less performance including a lot of stutters etc.

So what do i need to use to upscale my resolution via SS while using my Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop.
I have my OpenXr set to Steam, because thats the only thing(?) i can use to be able to stream it on VD.

With Microsoft Store, Oculus, Steam, OpenXR and Virtual Desktop there are so many variables
im completely lost!

My specs are:
RTX 3080
Ryzen 1700x
32GB Ram
Geforce driver: 460.79 (Cyberpunk)
Windows 10 latest update

I will send much love and beer-emoji’s via direct message to the person who saves my game experience!

Thanks

where do you see that setting ? in VD on the quest 2 / PC ?

Hi there, here’s some info to help:

1. Virtual Desktop overrides the Oculus runtime’s supersampling settings, so it won’t matter what the value is in the Debug Tool or the Oculus Tray Tool.
  2. The quality settings in the ‘streaming’ tab of Virtual Desktop have a certain supersampling value baked-in already. Thus, just changing the setting from medium to high will increase the supersampling through Virtual Desktop.
  3. The “Resolution Per Eye” slider in steamVR’s settings is also supersampling, and it does work with Virtual Desktop for most games. If you increase it, it is an additional multiplier on top of the supersampling already applied by the ‘quality’ setting of Virtual Desktop.

Of course you also have the render resolution slider within MSFS itself, as well as a supersampling option for the textures, so it’s up to you to decide which ones give the best tradeoff of quality vs. performance.

1 Like

With steamVR running, go down to the developer tab. It says at the bottom what the current active openXR runtime is there.

thanks, im actually trying to solve a separate issue of my own lol
 thanks, this might help

Have you had any changes and improvements? I have the same set up.

Hi there,

also still on my way to the best setup, however on your question:

• when playing MSFS in VR via Virtual Desktop (and SteamVR-OpenXR then), you can adjust super-sampling by pressing the Menu button on your left Quest controller. Go to the video section and click on “Program specific setting”. There you’ll find the resolution and motion smoothing settings for MSFS and as soon as you close that window they should become effective.

Adjusting super-sampling in Oculus app, Tray Tool or Debug tool doesn’t do anything here, because when playing MSFS via Virtual Desktop you run on the SteamVR-runtime, not the Oculus runtime.

Not 100% sure if the OpenXR developer app settings change anything
 It feels like these would only apply to WMR headsets like G2. I have just the latest runtime activated there, no render scaling and no motion reprojection. Wasn’t messing with that part, yet

I agree 100% it’s very confusing and time-consuming to test and find the best setup with all these options on the table. I’m still also comparing Oculus Link (better motion smoothness via ASW, but higher CPU load/less overall fps) vs. Virtual Desktop (the other way round) and haven’t made a final call yet

I hope that helped - good luck!

Strangely, using SteamVR to set supersampling to 2x resolution didn’t seem to have that large improvement for image crispness as using OpenXR with Oculus Debug Tool.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.