[HOW-TO] Change the installation path of installed packages inc community folder

Moving the packages folder gives me this error

everything in UserCfg.opt file is ok

1 Like

What I’ve done in the past for things like this, (in X-Plane, I haven’t tried it in MSFS), is to not mess with the “official” file structure, (maintaining the appearance of files in the normal places) - however I move the files themselves to a folder somewhere else and either symlink or hard link it to the “official” folder.

I’ve done that in X-Plane where there’s a “Custom Scenery” folder and I have several specially customized scenery folders for various places so I don’t load up every possible scenery variation.  I then creat a symlink from the specific scenery configuration folder to the “Custom Scenery” folder and I get only the scenery I need.

I have heard that there are special 3rd party packages that automagically do this for you in MSFS, but I have not tried them so I cannot comment on them.

Other things I have done, (to conserve valuable SSD space), is to add a massive HDD and map things that don’t need near real-time access to it.  (Like the “Downloads” folder, archives, target for screen-shots and videos, etc.)

You can re-map the Downloads folder “officially” to a different drive in Windows by editing a registry entry or something like that. Other folders I symlink back to the SSD.

Symlinks, hard links, and Junctions are your friend!  There’s a German guy who made a link manager utility for Windows that makes creating various links a point-and-click experience.  (I’d post the link, but I’m away from my main machine right now.)

A post was split to a new topic: Does MSFS Need an External Drive?