How to create a shortcut to MSFS?

Can someone tell me how to create a shortcut if the one we have to start the FS program is accidentally deleted

Assuming you have the MS Store version and if you want the shortcut to the desktop:

You can do this from the Xbox app by right-clicking on Microsoft Flight Simulator > Create Desktop Shortcut

3 Likes

Hi,

Just wondering how to get the MSFS 2020 desktop icon please ?

I have tried the usual ways to add an icon, but I just get a generic icon, no thumbnail graphic.
Thanks.

You will need to make one. I did the same. I’m not sure of Steam, but since MSFS is an “app” from the Store, the shortcut is off the start menu.

I used an FS image and converted to ICO and changed the icon via right-clicking on the icon:

Image1

fs-ico

This is what I see. Automatically created by MSFS, I can’t know explain how and when.

Immagine 2022-08-30 181728

PS:

@Hester40MT finally indicated the correct way. Thanks you.

A quicker way is to use "start-programs-Microsoft flight simulator, pin to start, then make shortcut or pin to taskbar from there.

3 Likes

I know, I know, this topic has been addressed many, many times. I can assure you that I have read every one I can get my hands on and have tried all - to no avail!

I guess my frustration is twofold: 1 - why is it so difficult to solve what seems to be a simple issue in most other programs (create a shortcut). 2 - why are the answers so darn convoluted?

While I am not a computer expert I have better than average skills. Regardless, I still do not have a MSFS icon, rather a blank page icon no matter what I do.

I am a simple man that just wants my MSFS icon back after it suddenly went kapoot. Like a death, I have come to the acceptance stage. I accept that I will never again have a MSFS icon.

Not expecting a solution but needed to vent my frustration.

Open the Xbox app and click on the 3 vertical dots next to “Microsoft Flight Simulator”, then create a shortcut.

1 Like

Appreciate the replies, but, again, I’ve tried these or the descriptions do not make sense to me.
For example, I do not have an X box so I can’t use it to do anything. As for buying it from the store? Go to start menu? That icon is also a blank page. So as I mentioned I am right back to where I started. Still seems like a big smart company like MS could have a simple solution or prevention for this ■■■■ happening. Still having to go with acceptance.

Just another note, as a new user it was a real goat rope to try to get to the replies to my original message. Why are most other message boards so much easier to use. Seems like every time MS gets involved things become 1000 times harder!!!

Hello @TNFlyer5549,
Your profile indicates you own the MS Store version. This version requires the Xbox app (as MSFS is an Xbox game) to be installed. The Xbox app is available in the MS Store. You may already have this installed.

The shortcut can be created from that app.

Another point of confusion!! You mention that the MS Store version requires Xbox app to be installed. Nowhere during installation or in the months of study of MSFS prior to downloading was there a mention of the Xbox app! I don’t play Xbox, don’t have one, don’t want one. Looking at the Windows 10 START menu I see Xbox console companion, Xbox game bar, and Xiph.Org. Do you mean one of these? None say Xbox app. Seems like this link between MSFS and Xbox for the desktop version is nothing but confusing for those of us that know nothing about Xbox and really don’t even consider MSFS to be a “Game.”

Any more details continue to be helpful in the murk.

There is an Xbox app in the Microsoft Store. You use that app to manage all of your games. You don’t need an Xbox to run the app.

Once the Xbox app is downloaded, sign in to your Xbox account and follow the steps @Hester40MT mentioned.

Alternatively, to create a shortcut, click and drag MSFS from the start menu to the Home Screen on your Windows 10 laptop. That is what I do when creating shortcuts.

You are confusing an Xbox console with the Xbox app.

MSFS is an Xbox game. Xbox games run on several types of devices. The most common is the PC and console. Xbox games can also run on mobile.