How to get my new reinstalled OS (Windows 11) to recognise my exisiting FS2020 installation?

Greetings,

My Windows 10 OS recently failed so I had to reinstall it and decided to upgrade to Windows 11.
My FS2020 installation is located on another drive and is the DVD Deluxe Edition version.
How do I link my existing FS2020 directories back to the OS without having to start from scratch and reinstall it again?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Rafael…

You’ll have to re-install

I would navigate to the exe file in the install directory and give it a rip with fingers crossed.

If that fails put in disk one and show it where your install is.

1 Like
  1. Backup your package folders (community and official) on the same drive by moving them elsewhere or renaming them if they are in the default install path
  2. Uninstall MSFS
  3. Install MSFS and abort on the update screen (force close)
  4. Move packages back into position
  5. Relaunch

Some things obtained from the market place may be redownload but 120GB shall stay as they are :wink:

1 Like

I don’t have a disc install but IMO it won’t matter beyond the first few files. Yep you will have to reinstall HOWEVER that should be no big deal if you rename your community and Official although the latter would be safer on a removable drive and disconnected. Then reinstall MSFS it should be less than 20GB if you take the following steps.

If you are not prompted to where your packages are then pause the upload after the first couple of files. Replace your Official folder to where you had it before and rename both files back to Community and Official … then edit the new UserCfg.opt with the correct path to them and restart the sim. If you are prompted for them then make sure they are in place before you browse to their location in the prompt and then continue.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice guys.
Will give it a go and advise.

Cheers,

Rafael…

Thanks for the info mate.
After a bit of messing around I managed to get the sim installed following your section about being prompted for existing directories.

:+1:

1 Like

Not quite the right topic perhaps, and perhaps hi-jacking your post, but if so I apologise, but i can’t find one that is more direct to my problem, which is very basic,
I reinstalled Windows 11 due to a few niggling problems. Solved the lot. All other apps re-installed and working fine,
But I can’t re-install MSFS.
Gets as far as showing “Welcome to Wizard, This Wizard will install FS … To continue press Next.” Half an hour later Next still greyed out and even the Back button, only one not greyed out, does nothing.
Self help has not achieved anything - and not from lack of trying.
Any pointers to get somewhere with this please??

Best I can suggest is check the store for updates to gaming services and xbox … Also if relevant check you have the U.S. English language pack installed.

2 Likes