How To: Map REVERSE THRUST to Saitek or similiar Throttle quadrant for jets

MAP THE REVERSE THRUST TO BUTTON:

Either “Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust” or “Toggle Throttle Reverse Thrust” can be mapped

Go to

Options->Controls->Power Management

Look for those two options

HOLD … means you have to long press the button to open engines and reverse while pushing throttle up. (ok for thrust units with buttons you can map and depress while pushing up throttle

TOGGLE means you tap once, and use existing throttle increase to slow. It reverses it. Also handy if you get nose stuck somewhere and need to back up and have no tug.(good for saitek)

Map them to button of choice.

I prefer toggle because its how its actually done on an airbus option. Button is pressed and you push forward on thrust.

Scenario: Easy manual landing

1. Approach and line up to land

2. Lower gear

3. Increase flap X2

4. Reduce thrust to glide in

5.Use Flap AIR BRAKES just before touch down to slow into the glide (pops up on wings)

1. When you touch, hit TOGGLE REVERSE THRUST button to on

2. Increase Throttle to max to slow the plane fast (since you reversed engines with toggle)

3. Once slow and use some break to full stop

4. Hit Toggle reverse Thrust again… (Now you move forward instead of backwards).

5. get off runway a soon as you can. Then get taxi directions.

Reverse Thrust is also handy when your nose is in a wall.

8 Likes

Thanks for the excellent walkthru, Spazzy! :slight_smile:

Heh no problem I struggled so long with this then found it finally.

Now landing is SOOOO easy. Its basically like shifting a car into reverse. Works on jet liners or jet engines for other planes you have to use reverse propeller set the same way.

1 Like

Oh i forgot to add… map Flap Air brakes

WHen you come in gliding use flap sir brakes just before touch down to slow plane into a nice slow glide 9they rise up) I mapped mine to T3

you can map one over other if you want.

1 Like

So I gather that there is no option to use a lower portion of the throttle axis, or any other axis for that matter, on aircraft that use the quadrant to feed in graduated TR? Or am I missing some hidden functionality / have the wrong hotas for this sim (TM Warthog)?

I know I could use scripting to achieve this externally, but it would still be essentially the same as an on/off button rather than a smooth increase to Max reverse thrust, and I’d rather not have the hassle of running another 3rd party app.

No.

On an airbus you engage a throttle reversal and push forward not back or in the red which can stall an aircraft when intermix is also less. You can still look at it and hit it inside the aircraft but it is also a pain, no time

Alternatively you can hold F2

I quite agree with you. Searching for a solution since launch. I guess we have to wait for PMDG aircraft to appear and I have heard the FSUIPC 7 is at its early stages for FS2020
Cyrus

Until PMDG comes out with the 737 I’m trying to map out on the Logitech proflight system. My throttle quadrant has one handle for thrust, one for prop pitch , and one for fuel mixture. So only three handles. I am able to map the pitch and mixture controls but I’ve tried the technique a guy from YouTube by the profile name of huddison showed in his videos. Using toggle and hold but both neither have worked so far. Basically I brought the throttle handle to idle and when msfs asks for a command to assign the button I then pull the throttle handle down and Z appears in the assignment window. I save and apply and try it on the airbus and 747 but neither one open up the reverser gates on the plane. Does anyone have any idea how to rectify this ? I can’t continue to use breaks and burn them up

I had this same issue, but I got around it by doing the following:

Mapping the throttle reverser (In my case T7) to decrease throttle
Mapping one of the bottom buttons to increase throttle

When you pull the reverser it’ll cause the thrust reverser to deploy (at least on my PDMG 737s) and after you’re done reversing you just hold the throttle up button until the engines go back to idle.
It’s a crude solution, but I’m gonna stick to this until I find a better solution that actually works for me.