How to prevent 737-7 rocket ship/high FPM takeoff?

Basically the title.

Flying the PMDG 737-700 and wondering if there is a way to keep the FPM lower and not going full space shuttle on takeoff. With LNAV and VNAV engaged, aircraft reaches like 4000+ on takeoff.

Are you doing an assumed temperature (reduced) thrust take off? If you are taking off using TOGA thrust, especially if you are light and/or it’s cold, it’ll get up and go on you!

1 Like

Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to a sub-category of the User Support Hub

The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside of our other sub-categories.

If you would like other users to help you with an issue you are experiencing in the sim, consider these User Support Hub categories for your future post:

Aircraft & Systems
ATC, Traffic & NAVAIDs
Crashes (CTDs)
Hardware & Peripherals
Install, Performance & Graphics
Scenery & Airports
User Interface & Activities
Virtual Reality (VR)
Weather & Live Weather
Miscellaneous

Hmmm, ive only seen takeoff tutorials use TO/GA power setting with the little screw on the dash. I assume for a reduced power takeoff i would use the eng derate menu?

Yes. that’s correct.

I don’t know how PMDG supplies take off performance. I have flown the 737 for two airlines and one used basically tables and the other a tablet. But, I would think that PMDG supplies at least the basic tools to calculate performance, perhaps in sim or via an external app.

But essentially yes, air carriers are allowed to take off at less than full power as long as it meets legal requirements for take off distance, abort distance, climb gradient, etc.

In very simple terms, you basically calculate take off data as though it were hotter than it is. This gives you legal margins while reducing wear on the engines, and reduces the “sportiness” of the take off.

I’m afraid I don’t have the PMDG 73, so I can’t be of more help.

Maybe try this one.

1 Like

Make sure your derate is set appropriately to your current atmospheric, fuel and weight conditions. A shorter flight with a higher cruise is going to need less thrust to achieve lift as opposed to a more laden flight. There’s a ton of math and stuff so figuring your take off thrust based on how wet or dry, hot or cold it is, how heavy or light you are and how long or short the runway is is best done with a performance calculator

Assuming you’re on PC, use the efb tablets performance calculator to give you better take off performance so you dont wheelie out when you engage toga. There are YouTube guides for using the tablet

You can also set the climb profile to econ for a less aggressive climb (the CLB button on the fmc)

You can also use V/S to manage your climb and descent manually, of course

4 Likes

FMC in PMDG planes does not calculate assumed temperature thrust. OP use EFB performance calculator, it’s more advanced and made FMC calculator obsolete.

1 Like

Good to know.

Actually, none of the 73s I flew used it either. It was either flip charts or an (ancient) EFB.

I loved telling people who were sad about a lack of efb to “fly like they grandpappy did: with nothing but a compass, a map and their wits.”

A regular pilot will properly calculate vSpeeds

A true pilot will just say “this seems good. Pull up now” :grin::grin::upside_down_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Performance calculations was the last thing I wanted from EFB. The main was easy access to charts. When in VR I don’t want flipping through paper copies and I definitely don’t want to waste tons of paper to print them.

People wanted the efb for one reason or another, however that is not the topic of current discussion.

(Slowly moves his 3" binder of charts and performance tables out of view…)

1 Like