How to properly reinstall MSFS 2020 ? Folders to keep ? Save Settings?

Hello !

Since there is an ongoing issue going back from SU10 beta to stable, I was thinking to reinstall the sim. (I tested what I wanted to test on the SU10, now I can sit on stable until the release).

Although, because I am not in an ‘‘Urgent’’ situation, I am inquiring on how to keep the Sim’s settings / Flight log / Control settings (mapping) through a fresh re installation.

Of course the Community folder is an easy one. Although is there anything else I should be concerned about ? Any folder path that contains important stuff ?

In priority order I’d wish to keep my Flight Log (Almost 600hours, got the gold badge :slight_smile: ) 2) Control settings/mapping, so all the mapping I have done with my hardware.

Is there anything else I should be wanting to keep that I’m not thinking about ? Any loss to be expected ?
Third party aicraft issue ? Feel free to give advise !

I thought this tread can also be useful for other people in the future since re-installation is a very common thing for many reasons.

Thanks a lot !

If steam is saving to the cloud then your settings will be save there. When I want to do an absoult clean install in steam I:

1. uninstall in steam
  2. check and make sure that the game is still not listed in windows add/remove … if it is I remove.
  3. Go to my appdata/microsoftflightsimulator dir and delete everything there.
  4. Then choose this pc in file explorer and search flightsim to eliminate any extras
  5. (optional) run ccleaner, registry cleaner just to make sure residules arent left there
  6. reboot
  7. Start steam and the install process. After install go back and edit the toolbar.css and usercfg.opt file to my desired settings.
  8. Another reboot
    9 and Off we fly
1 Like

And by doing so, after your installation is complet, do you have to reconfigure your Assistance Settings, Graphic Settings, Control options or that remains how it was before the uninstallation ?

I do have my Sim configured in a specific way, and it took a while until I found the perfect ‘‘tuning’’ it’s why I wish to keep it’s setting mostly how they are now, or at least be aware of what is going to change so I can take note of my actual configuration as of now.

Thanks for your comment :slight_smile:

You’ll have to reset your graphics, settings but the controllers and all the rest will remain the same. As long as you have them in the steam cloud.

As for losing log books probably not but it could happen…

If you want to save your graphics settings just copy the usercfg.opt file to your desktop and then you can transfer them from there after you re-install. If your going from su9 to the beta it wont matter becasue the 10 beta has new stuff in the usercfg.opt file.