How to troubleshoot MSFS freezing up

Sim froze on me this afternoon while taxiing at Jandakot (YPJT). I had been flying for about an hour, landing at multiple airports in the vicinity of Perth. I had to kill the MSFS process using Task Manager. No errors or warnings were reported in the event viewer application or system logs.

What was interesting was what happened at the moment of the freeze:

As I was taxiing, the red vehicle (arrowed) proceeded me down the taxiway. The line of vehicles on the right were stopped, presumably to let me pass. The red vehicle starts to turn right and “collides” with the fuel truck. At that instant, the sim freezes.

I wonder if there is a logic mis-match in the red vehicle’s path code. The logic says:
A) If a user’s aircraft is behind you, proceed down the path vector & take the next available path vector off the current users’ path vector (the blue arrows).
and also says, elsewhere in the code:
B) Don’t turn onto a path vector that is occupied with stationary traffic, or has traffic coming towards you.

At the moment of the freeze, the red vehicle says: OK, turn right. Ooops, can’t turn right…turn right. Ooops, can’t turn right…turn right. Ooops, can’t turn right…turn right. Ooops, can’t turn right…turn right. Ooops, can’t turn right…

Hence the freeze! :unamused:

Partial Specs & settings: i7-12700K, 32 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 CL40, Arc 770 (16GB).
Graphics Tab: TAA, Render resolution 1700x931 / 125, 100% MRR (60 Hz), DX12 Beta, TLOD @ 250, Other settings - all Ultra
Traffic Tab: Aircraft Traffic Type - Real-Time Online, Slider Settings - All 100%, Generics (AI, MP) - Both Off, Show MP in Vicinity - On, Traffic Variety - Ultra
Data Tab: Data Connection: All six options - On, Rolling Cache - On
Developers Tab: Developer Mode - Off
3rd-Party Addons: None, Community Addons: 1 (Weather Presets - Clouds)
Build: SU15B 1.37.2.0

Note to mods: would this be considered an “old bug that still exist from previous versions”, or should I create a new bug report under Sim Update 15 Beta / Scenery & Airports?

2 Likes