How to use the autopilot via keys only?

Dear community,

I just found out my beloved VL-3 actually has an autopilot thanks to the G3X, albeit it can only be controlled via key mappings.
While I can turn the autopilot master on and select a desired altitude, I struggle to get every other basic mode (heading, nav, approch, altitude, VS) working.
How can I enable and control these modes via key input?
Thank you.

Best,
Underbird

1 Like

@Underbird9276, I have set the following autopilot commands to keys. It works on most GA aircraft including the beautiful VL-3. At the moment I do not use nav and approach. Hope this helps. Cheers.

DECREASE HEADING BUG
INCREASE HEADING BUG
TOGGLE AUTOPILOT ALTITUDE HOLD
DECREASE AUTOPILOT REFERENCE ALTITUDE
INCREASE AUTOPILOT REFERENCE ALTITUDE
TOGGLE AUTOPILOT HEADING HOLD
TOGGLE AUTOPILOT VERTICAL SPEED HOLD
DECREASE AUTOPILOT REFERENCE VS
INCREASE AUTOPILOT REFERENCE VS
AUTOPILOT ON
AUTOPILOT OFF

2 Likes

I will map those and report back to you later.
Thank you!

1 Like

Just tried the autopilot having mapped the key commands you mentioned, Frank, and it works like a charm - thank you very much!

1 Like

I mapped the above commands and it was working well. But there are two problems:
1 - Increase heading bug: if you keep pressed the key for more than few secs the bug starts rotating and never stops. Was the same in FSX when was released. I put it on Zendesk ma no solution until now.
2 - Also the NAV reference coud be mapped, but since the last release the commands are broken.

Hello, can someone tell me please how I can toggle to ALTitude hold with keys?
I Can´t find that function in the key mappings.

@xXNiklasYT, please see my post above - Toggle Autopilot Altitude Hold I think. Cheers.

Hi is there any way to Map the NAV button in Autopilot. Cant seem to find the setting in controls.

@NITSMAX , If you search for Autopilot, there are then a few settings for NAV, NAV1 etc - maybe one of those. Cheers.

Thanks for the same. Tried almost all settings in NAV in the autopilot control options. Couldn’t get it to work.

Why not use Mobile Companion App (MCA) ?
This app displays an interface to use the A/P (and other things) in your browser. And this on a second screen if you have one or on another PC or an Android device, Simple to install and very simple to use.
A good alternative to keybinds. I used it before I made my button box.

AUTOPILOT NAV1 HOLD

This works for me.