How will msfs compete with xp12?

I care, I fly the 172 and flight model is important even in the planes that come with the sim.

And how on earth do you know what weather was being used? Stop making assumptions and realise that some have bought and paid for the early access version and have live weather which can be anything but sedate.

I agree with you. I also did some thinking, that Austin probably had some more objective information that XP users were jumping ship to MSFS over the course of 2022. I mean, of course, subjectively, some XP users probably jumped to MSFS when the study level airliners were released to MSFS this spring. But Austin probably had more concrete data than that, or he heard from many third party XP developers that sales of their products had dropped this year (kind of like how many P3D third party developers were saying in 2020/2021 that their sales had dropped off a cliff). I assume Austin keeps contact with many third party XP developers so he knows the health of the XP add-on market. In addition, the official announcement of iniBuilds switching to MSFS in iniBuild’s partnership with MSFS, was probably hard news for Austin to hear.

With iniBuilds jumping ship from XP to MSFS, and with other 3rd party XP developers telling Austin that the sales of their products for XP had significantly lowered this year, Austin was under pressure to release XP 12 this year. If Austin didn’t release XP 12 this year, it could result in other 3rd party XP devs like iniBuild, jumping ship to MSFS, and once they jump ship to MSFS like iniBuilds, they might not come back to XP.

So Austin made the decision to release XP 12 prematurely. Why am I saying that Austin released XP 12 prematurely? Well, XP 12 released with a Boeing FMC for their A330. Austin and LR, who pride themselves on “realism,” knew that releasing XP 12 with a Boeing FMC for their A330 looks really bad and is the complete opposite of “realism.” But time was running out, third party XP devs were getting anxious about their sales, so Austin gave the go ahead to release XP 12 by the end of the summer. Austin knows that keeping the third party devs on XP is really important to the future of XP, so he cannot let them leave XP, hence he gambled with the premature release of XP 12.

Anyways, this is my guess as to what happened. Not sure if it really went down like this, but it’s just a guess only. In any case, I do welcome more XP third party developers to switch to MSFS, it will just benefit us MSFS users more.

9 Likes

If they had offered an upgrade price for existing 11 owners, I would certainly have considered it.

3 Likes

I’d like to see better night lighting in MSFS, I don’t know what the technology is, but every light bulb in XPlane seems way better.
Also, we need rain effects in fuselage and real windshield wipers

7 Likes

Honestly, I think the issue of X-Plane developers switching to MSFS is a bit exaggerated. Of the major XP aircraft developers for example (iniBuilds, Toliss, FlightFactor, JarDesign, Rotate, FlyJSim, X-Crafts, SSG, Aerobask, VSKYLABS, Carenado, Just Flight), none of them officially announced the discontinuity of their XP addons to focus on MSFS, as far as I know. (I say officially, leave a statement making that clear). Unofficially, iniBuilds.

In fact, in addition to iniBuilds, only Carenado and Just Flight are actually developing products for MSFS. From a 3rd party XP developer’s point of view, switching to MSFS is not straightforward. Something that takes money and time, since their products have to be remade from scratch, on a platform totally different from XP that they have no knowledge, and because of that, most of them see MSFS as an unnecessary risk when they are established in the XP market. The market for XP addons has to contract severely so that the risk of switching to MSFS is lower than continuing on XP and honestly I think it’s unlikely that this will happen at least in the next few years.

I don’t think XP will die. It will have enough users to keep afloat, but obviously it won’t have for many years (maybe never) the share that XP11 had in the flight simulator market before MSFS debut, taking advantage of Microsoft’s abandonment after FSX. It will return to its original place as a niche simulator, aimed at a very specific audience, who will reject MSFS no matter how much better it gets.

I see your point but it’s just hard for me to pay for a 3rd party AC that costs more than I paid for the actual simulator. I realize this is a little off topic and for another discussion, so I’ll end it here.

I guess for many it will come down to how much money people invested in XP11 and what scenery they have. As a Brit I bought the whole UK True Earth suite and Orbx are prioritising making that work for XP12. I also have quite a few UK airports. The quality of the TE packages in XP12 looks so good that it will give me a better simulation experience of the UK than I can currently get in MSFS (I dont fly that low) and its offline too, no dependency on an internet connection. So for me, it’s well worth the £60.00.

I may not use it that often, particularly as I am flying around the world in MSFS but I like to have options.

6 Likes

Easily. I know MSFS has its problems and Lord knows it can be a frustrating sim at times, but Ive just downloaded the trial and its horrible. Im getting less FPS with X Plane than I am with MSFS and the visuals are a third of the quality.

No not for me.

4 Likes

Multi monitor for sure

1 Like

For a few months to a year

it really is the best pr for msfs. having tried few airports and planes, all I could kind of appreciate were the exhaust effects and overwing condensation clouds. I dont like to look down at a forest made of sticks and empty patches. loving msfs even more now!!!

2 Likes

That is an issue. I don’t expect to have to pay for any msfs upgrades, but I now paid full price for xplane 12 (no upgrade prices available) and now I have to pay some upgrade fees for addons.

1 Like

It’s more than likely that anyone moving from 11 to 12 will need to rebuy many of their addons as they get upgraded.

That is one thing that people are forgetting. There is a learning curve and initial investment in building your first MSFS addon. I’m sure PMDG would have liked to have been out the door with their 737 within months, but it took 2 years. All of the MSFS developers are releasing on a more regular schedule now, because they have their framework for their addons. And they now know the API and how to work with it. Your first MSFS addon though, its probably going to take about a year to develop before you can release, and then you will be able to release more frequently.

So yes, the sales are there for developers. But the cost to spend 1 year or more developing without steady income coming in is going to be a hurdle some developers aren’t going to be able to manage.

1 Like

The following statement below is my own opinion.

I don’t think at all that there is any MSFS has to ‘compete’ with the X-Plane 12. People are going to like what they are going to like. If someone likes MSFS-then they will stay with MSFS most likely.

No competition for me, because i fly with MSFS and with X-Plane 11.
XP12 is on hold, because at the moment X-Plane 11 is good enough for me.

2 Likes

A few things to try in the XP12 demo.

Any taildragger. Literally any of them. Compare that to any of the default MSFS versions, like the Super Cub. See how it transitions from 3 to 2 wheels.

Austin’s own Lancair Evolution. Its a turbprop, with a castoring nose wheel. Takeoffs are interesting, especially if you try applying full power then wonder why your rudder does nothing. Also, try out reverse thrust, and see how this behaves, and sounds. For a default planes its pretty good.

The other thing you will notice is the absence of excessive weathervaning. If you have ever wondered why “you” might be having problems maintaining the centre line, just give the demo a go. You may be surprised.

All - XP12 saving grace over MSFS is how easy and quick you can setup your flight controls. It took me all of 15 minutes to create new profiles for 2 and 4 engine jet, and then set that up for those planes inside the sim so when I choose the 737 for example, it loads the 2-engine jet profile, I don’t have to go drag it out of settings like in MSFS.

Scenery as mentioned in MSFS is excellent, but that comes with a huge (did I say huge) bandwidth hoggish setup. And cannot speak for anyone else, but in XP12, my gpu runs at about 70C, in MSFS similar settings, 86C, that is 16C difference.

Out of the box (so to speak), only found few things XP12 is buggy in.
AND BIG HERE, I took a plane which I purchased for XP11, (made for 10 and modified for 11) and copied the folder over to 12, and it works just fine. Has anyone been able to bring over any planes from any sim, and just drop them into MSFS, NO, you have not.

And although many don’t take the time to RTFM, the manuals in 12 are excellent, one dedicated to how to make the FMC work, nada, not one single manual period in MSFS.

Don’t get me wrong, MSFS has some great features, those IMHO come with huge performance hits, and bottlenecks and downloading issues abound, along with CTD’s and a host of systems in the provided planes which to date still do not work. Did anyone read the thread “where is the desktop icon” and try to help that person, give me a break, this sim almost needs Computer Science Degree to make work, and I would take a bet (pick favorite beverage), every person here has had issues making something in MSFS work the way it’s supposed to work or should work in real world. This especially true for many of the X-Box Users.

The saving grace for MSFS is PMDG 737 and DC Designs F-14, the only two purchased planes for me in MSFS, and please note, both come with extensive manuals, which the program is sadly lacking.

Both sims have great, medium and poor things. For now, I will fly in both, but more in XP only because I can run it on my gamer laptop longer, further because of the heat issue. When get desktop, (provided that prices do not kick me out of marketplace) then better thermals will allow more or equal MSFS time. More bugs still in MSFS than I would wager in XP currently. SU10 will as normally break as many things as it fixes, as that is Asobo’s way. From get-go, they refused to fix core simulator code, and then lock it down, so we are still today, fighting that bear, plus, the CTD’s and downloading issues. XP has supported dual monitors since almost forever, MSFS just now getting that plate warm, (two years old remember) and from what I have seen, still way complicated to make work. I will opt for huge display instead of dual monitors, simpler for me.

Aside-Not RW Pilot-was taught how to fly and navigate by a Captain Qualified MD-11 Captain for Delta Airlines, so not stupid by any means. Thousands of hours in FS-95 to date. MSFS at release and up till PMDG and DC Designs planes made me question my sanity and abilities. I kept FSX on PC just to remind self it’s not me, it’s this so called game.

2 Likes

On one of the streams someone flew through a thunderstorm with no turbulence at all, in that sense both sims are pretty similar I guess

Seriously though with the gusts and refined turbulence on su10beta flying the c172 is a real handful.

Well I will look forward to that.