How would a trim wheel work in the same direction as trim up/down?

I’ll answer my own question, this probably isn’t the ideal place for the question in the first place, but…

The solution is to add a fragment of code to the model XML calling an Asobo template that reverses the affect of the ELEVATOR TRIM AXIS INPUT. This turns out to be the shrapnel from a change made by Asobo in Sim Update 5 which affected ALL aircraft, but was fixed only for the Asobo planes by their use of their own templates which in effect reverses the reverse they made to the sim.

Here’s the minimal entry you need in model XML to fix the ELEVATOR TRIM AXIS INPUT:

<Component ID="REVERSE_TRIM_FIX" Node="DUMMY">
			<UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_HANDLING_Wheel_ElevatorTrim_Template">
			</UseTemplate>
		</Component>

Note this is unrelated to any animation or model elements you may have, this is purely to reverse back the reversing of the ELEVATOR TRIM AXIS control. I think Asobo got confused when they were adding new input support to their template programming language, had a bug where the elevator trim was working in reverse, fixed that by reversing the reading of the axis by the sim and so messed up every 3rd-party plane including my gliders.

1 Like