How's the performance with an Asus Laptop?

Looking to buy MSFS2020-standard. My system is as follows…
Asus ROG Strix Scar 17 laptop
Intel Core i9 10980HK, 32GB RAM (DDR4), 2.4 GHz
NVIDIA RTX 2080 super
VRAM 8GB (GDDR6)

Any issues I should be aware of, please let me know. Thanks.

All laptops are plagued by the same thing when they have to work hard; heat. And MSFS gives the hardware a good workout for sure. I would suggest a desktop for this reason (keep in mind laptop variants of hardware will always perform worse than their desktop equivalents name-wise, due to lower power draw and limited cooling potential).
If you’re dead set on a laptop I would suggest looking into a cooling pad, I’ve heard from multiple laptop users they saw some good improvements from those.

1 Like

Your laptop should run it no problem. As mentioned above, heat dissipation is going to be a large factor. If you’ve got adequate cooling, you’re going to be just fine.

I have a Razer Blade 15 Advanced with similar specs except for I have the i7 10875h processor as well as a 4K 60hz display.

MSFS will run great. I play on mostly High settings, maybe a few on Ultra. Render scale on 70 (Bc I have 4K). I use Vsync at 30FPS and never have stutters. Only dips are in NY, Chicago, London. I fly mostly VFR, but flying airliners will cause some FPS loss at complex addon airports. Note this is with 600 addons :slight_smile: (thanks flightsim.to)

You will be CPU limited, so start your LODs at 100 to start and move them up if you can.

One piece of advice, check out Throttlestop. Cap your cores at 3.8 to 4.2. Undervolt if you can. You’ll never achieve max frequency Bc MSFS uses all cores. I did extensive testing and capping the frequency keeps the temps WAY down and I lose 2 FPS at most.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Great advise. Thanks from a newbie!

1 Like

Following up from this older post. How is MSFS performing? Are you able to run on Ultra settings and get acceptable framerates? Do you find it is GPU or CPU limited?