HP Reverb G2, cockpit shaking since installing windows 11

I think I skipped that driver. Maybe I’ll try it out. Thanks for the tip.I have read that Nvidia is due to release a new driver tomorrow. It is supposed to have some new and improved features like DLDSR. I hope that VRSS will be coming to MSFS someday in the hopefully not so distant future, too.

this still a big problem for me feels like im having a seizure whilst playing. the violent shaking goes when i turn vr off but who ■■■■ wants to play like that. gutted spent loads of money on this game with a new pc new g2 the game itself and all the downloads with it. ■■■■■■■

1 Like

As far as I know there will be an OpenXR update late January or early February. There’s a good chance that’ll fix or help mitigate the issue to some extent . Some folks are looking into this.

where is this menu?

In Steam. Right click on Microsoft Flight Simulator——> Properties

Hi, This is Matt from the OpenXR team at Microsoft.

I wanted to give an update on this issue.

First off, I wanted to explain a couple of things regarding the reporting of issues.

We did not know about this issue until recently (the reddit thread mentioned by @CPSweatPants). My team does testing of Flight Simulator 2020 for every release, typically 2-3 people including me. I generally do Windows 10, and my co-workers are on Windows 11. At this point, nobody in my team is seeing the issue reported here.

We also monitor bug reports filed through the Windows Feedback hub. There too, we have not received any indication of an issue.

So it seems that the only place this issue is being discussed is this thread (well, and later, reddit). One thing that’s especially difficult for us is to look at problem descriptions, then seeing a few messages later things like “I reverted this driver and the issue is now gone” or “I’ve turn on/off this setting and the issue disappeared”. This tends to indicate that whatever is causing the issue is not our components or something in our control, or sometimes simple user error (or even user tendency to run at settings that are not appropriate/realistic for their setup). That’s why we cannot keep tab of all the open issues here, because we simply cannot look at every combination of driver/software/hardware and their respective settings which could cause “false issues”.

I invite everyone who haven’t yet done so to go read my post about OpenXR for WMR releases and how to properly report issue once they are confirmed to be due to our OpenXR runtime:

Now, back to the issue of shaking.

I’ve been in contact since last week with some folks (including @CPSweatPants) who can reproduce the issue consistently (since again, here at the office, we cannot reproduce this issue), and we’ve tested a few things that apparently resolve this problem. I’ll pass on the technical details, but for short we’ve experimented with ways to limit the motion prediction algorithm, effectively avoiding prediction error since the game runs at a less-than-optimal frame rate for the current prediction to be the best.

We’re looking into ways to include this change into the upcoming update of the OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality, in later January/early February. If for some reasons this release gets delayed, we also have a way to release this improvement using my open source side-project “the OpenXR Toolkit” (which also targets a release at the end of this months).

We appreciate your patience here, and looking forward to releasing the change.

14 Likes

I’ve had this issue since I updated to Windows 11. Can actually see the shake just with my heart beat. If you need any help with testing new released or have any sort of a beta program, let me know, I’d be happy to help out.

Mike

PS your name here made me do a double take. my name is Mike Luchia :joy:

1 Like

Matt,

You taking the time to send an update here is a testament to you and your team’s dedication to this community - a huge thank you for this!
Can’t wait for the fix, that’s awesome news. I’m curious if you have been able to link it to W11? I too started to have it when I upgraded.
Cheers

1 Like

Hello Matt

This is very easy to reproduce but you must compare to Win10 to fully appreciate the difference.

Latest OpenXR motion reprojection ON and like another person said … just look around cockpit and shake is clear as day. Revert to WIN10 and you will see the improvement immediately.

Alienware R11 I9 2080 super 32 gb.

As for this is the only place mentioning issue that’s because I don’t know anywhere else to report apart from when asked why reverting to Win10 so hopefully MS pass on those comments to you.

Yes, thank you for posting this. This is the only thing making me pause before upgrading to Win 11. Hopefully you’ll be able to fix it soon.

For some reason, the shaking is NOT present anymore in my setup. Changed nothing.
It may be related to a recent Windows 11 quality update.

It’s even noticeable when at the MSFS menu level.
I would say it’s as smooth as it was in Windows 10.

This is the best news I’ve heard in a log time. Thanks for your effort in correcting this problem.

It’s still shaking with my system. Everything is updated. I tried with/without motion repro with open xr.

1 Like

UPDATE on Shaking, Performance, and Image Quality (Lessons Learned)
(Windows 11 / 12700 / 32GB / 3080 / G2)

I will begin by saying that I am new to VR, so apologies in advance if I share something that is rather “obvious” to other community members.

Cockpit Shaking

• Problem: The cockpit would shake so much that I could not use the sim. A temporary solution was to turn HAGS off.
  • Solution?: This problem seems to have gone away after I updated to the latest NVIDIA driver and performed an Environment “Clean” in the WMR app. I am now able to run with HAGS turned on. While there is still a little shakiness, it is much better and certainly usable. Unfortunately, I don’t have a reference to know if what I’m experiencing now is ideal or if there is still room for improvement. It is about the same as when HAGS was turned off.

Image Quality & Performance

• Problem: I was not getting great performance. Additionally, I would see people on YouTube sharing their configurations and saying how great the image was and mine was nowhere close to what they were describing.
  • Solution: This is probably obvious to people here but my big discovery was that I need to use the OpenXR Developer tool with the use of the Beta version selected. Once I did this, I was able to increase settings in the sim and at the same time increase the smoothness and the image quality.

With these updates, I was able to enjoy a 90-minute flight along the California coast without any issues. Overall, with these changes, I am now a happy camper. :slight_smile:

I hope this might help someone else in a similar situation.

2 Likes

One thing you can try while you’re waiting for a fix : Block 2 cameras of your G2 with (black) electrical tape. One on the side and the other across on the front of the headset. I tried side left and front right. It reduces the overall sensitivity slightly. It’s a band-aid not a solution. You mileage might vary here. Also you might loose tracking while doing so. Make sure you don’t use tape that is too sticky, you don’t wanna mess up your hard earned headset. Electrical tape ain’t that sticky. You could use a piece of paper and scotch tape too of course. But please, in every case, be good to your headset. :slightly_smiling_face:

Weird. When did you perform that update?

Unfortunately, there have been few Windows updates since, 3 I think. I can’t pinpoint when it appeared to be fixed.
One important thing to mention, it’s that I also clear my Environment Data in the Mixed Reality settings.

Also, I have a Radeon 6800XT MBE so, the HAGS stuff does not apply. My OpenXR scaling is at 100% and the beta option is activated. I have a Lenovo WMR headset.

In the end, the shaking issue is not present anymore.

Ahhh ok. Didn’t know you have a Lenovo headset. Do you clear the environment data every single time before playing? My Win11 is up-to-date but the issue didn’t go away.

I did once and it seems to be going fine… for now.
I’m running the 21.11.13 AMD drivers (latest official).

Newest Driver´s, latest Win Updates. Shaking still present. The G2 is hyper senstitive in motion. AMD Ryzen 5600X, 3060ti.