HP Reverb G2 FOV/Sweet spot hack

I was considering getting one of the face gasket mods mentioned in the forum to increase sweet spot and FOV but wasn’t too thrilled in dropping $50 or so. Anyway, I ended up with this cheap hack from a reddit posting using the HTC VIVE foam padding.

I just simply removed the G2 gasket and mounted the HTC ViVE padding (using clear tape) and all I can say is that what a big improvement both in increased FOV and slightly larger sweet spot.

https://www.amazon.com/HTC-Vive-Face-Cushion-Wide-PC/dp/B01LXR6AII/ref=sr_1_4?crid=19K64S1WL8RFQ&dchild=1&keywords=htc%2Bvive%2Breplacement%2Bfoam&qid=1614543434&sprefix=vive%2Bhtc%2Bfoa%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-4&th=1

2080ti
457.30 Nvidia

There is also this now.

Can you post some pictures of the fit and finish? Do you touch the lenses with your eyebrows? Does it leak light?

I ordered this from ebay. Still waiting for it to arrive but I’m excited to try it.

What about comfort and light leakage (around the cable socket, top strap and the nosepiece)?

According to MRTV review the VR cover facepiece is as deep as HP’s original, so improvement to FoV is marginal if any.

I’ll post some shot later but re: eyebrow<>lens - yes, depends on how I mount and tilt the headset closer to my face.

Light leakage- yes, some light leakage around the edges of the gasket. Trivial to fix with some add’l foam padding.

Overall, really happy about the improvement in visual quality.

I saw his video but without measuring it i’m not sure that’s true. Also you have two different face cushions. One thick and one thin. I have two different people giving two different opinions on this on youtube. A actual measurement would be nice. Rather that be in a app that measures FOV or the depth of the face cushion adapter.

Here you are: original vs the DanolDesigns:

According to MRTV the VRcover gasket is like the original, only the thinner cushion makes it thinner.
You can apply the thin cushion to the DanolDesigns gasket as well, making it even thinner.

An update from here. I got the new gasket and I don’t like it. It increases FOV slightly. Marginal difference with sweet spot. I can feel my eye lashes touching the lense, the nose guard scratches my nose, and the padding is less comfy. Kept seeing weird black flashing at peripherals, as if it’s not rendering as fast in the peripheral, but only visible in the narrow FOV part gained with the new gasket.

I think HP got their gasket right.

1 Like

I personally find this is controlled with the OpenXR settings. Leaving openXR at 100% and the sweet spot is pretty big. Start knocking that down, and then it takes a big hit.

2 Likes

That is true and my OXR is 100% and never had issues with sweet spot to begin with. I wanted more FOV though.

Here’s what I did recently.
No gasket at all, just attached the HTC Vive foam directly onto the headset.
My eyelashes are almost touching the lenses. The FOV is significantly improoved.
The headset is now slightly loose on my head which improves the ventilation alot. I can feel the airflow when turning my head. Once you adapt it feels great.

Do you like…have no eyelashes?

1 Like

Great if it works for you. I tested this approach:

• issues with light leakage,
  • not easy to replace with the original gaskey to share the headset with glasses wearer,
  • easy to scratch/grease the lenses when temporarily removing the headset by putting it or top of your head.
    So I sticked with shallow gasket and thin foam.
    HP Reverb G2 Gasket | Etsy
1 Like

@ stekusteku What did you take for foam?
If you had the one sold with the HP Reverb G2 Joint, if how much does the set cost?

I bought this:

Just 6mm so very thin but still comfortable. Fits the 3D printed gasket well:

1 Like

I got a printed Franken-Mod with a thinner foam on it…I measured my FOV with the original HP gasket and the new one… with this tool:

I measured ca +15° horizontally and about 8° vertically more FOV, also noticed the peripheral black rendering shadows…as long ys you are flyiong this doesnt matter and you wont notice them anymore.
So far so good… however then I ordered custom made optical corrections for the HP here https://vroptician.com/# . Those really enhanced the sharpness of the HP, howver are being put on top of the fresnel lenses of the HP.
Thus some part of my upper inner orbita (not the eyelashes) touches surface of the addon lenses and may cause a bit of skin imprint on them, easy to remove and not disturbing as the sweet spot is in the middle and not in the upper inner quadrant.
The Franken-Mod also seems a bit less comfortable than the original and a tiny bit of light is coming from below the nose… could be fixed easily.
I very much hope that the next generation of headsets would improve all that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.